UConn gets back on track, handles VillanovaJan 6, 2011 - 3:38 AM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Tiffany Hayes finished with a game-high 22 points, and the No. 2 Connecticut Huskies blitzed the Villanova Wildcats, 81-35, at Gampel Pavilion.
Maya Moore added 16 points and nine rebounds. Bria Hartley scored 13 and Kelly Faris grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds for the Huskies (13-1, 3-0 Big East), who fell to Stanford 71-59 on December 30 to end their NCAA Division I record winning streak at 90 games.
Lindsay Kimmel finished with six points to lead the Wildcats (7-7, 0-2), who got five points each from Heather Scanlon, Laura Sweeney and Jesse Carey.
UConn roared out to a 23-2 lead, and Moore capped a dominating first half with a short jumper to give UConn a 44-12 edge at intermission.
The Huskies shot 55 percent from the field in the opening 20 minutes, including 5-of-8 from beyond the arc.
Villanova wasn't able to shrink its deficit under 24 points as the Huskies kept pouring it on in the second half.
- VILLANOVA: 35
Jan 5 9:23 PM
- VILLANOVA: 12
Jan 5 8:22 PM
- VILLANOVA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 5 7:40 PM
- No. 1 UConn dominates second half in win over Maryland Nov 15
- UConn star Mosqueda-Lewis injures elbow Nov 11
- Hartley, top-ranked Huskies brush off No. 3 Stanford Nov 11
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25
- Michigan advances behind Sheffer's double-double Mar 24
- Top-seed UConn moves on with rout of Idaho Mar 23