Stanford coasts past Hampton into the second roundMar 17, 2012 - 8:57 PM Norfolk, VA (Sports Network) - Nnemkadi Ogwumike finished with 28 points and 10 rebounds to power the top-seeded Stanford Cardinals to a 73-51 decision over the 16th-seeded Hampton Pirates in the first round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Constant Convocation Center.
Joslyn Tinkle added 16 points for Stanford (32-1), while Amber Orrange dished out 11 assists. Chiney Ogwumike and Toni Kokenis each chipped in nine points as the Cardinal advanced to the second round, where they will face the No. 8 seed, West Virginia.
Alyssa Bennett paced Hampton (26-5) with 19 points and Nicole Hamilton contributed 10 points off the bench.
Stanford took control of the contest early and built a 42-27 halftime lead by shooting 64 percent from the floor in the opening period. The Pirates connected on just 32.4 percent of their field goal attempts in the first half.
The Cardinal continued to shoot well after the break, as they shot 52 percent from the floor and made 4-of-8 from three-point range to build their lead to as many as 31. Hampton narrowed the margin slightly by not allowing Stanford to make a field goal in the final 4:30.
Stanford held a 44-25 advantage in the rebounding battle.
- HAMPTON: 51
Mar 17 3:35 PM
- HAMPTON: 27
Mar 17 2:30 PM
- HAMPTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 1:44 PM
- Georgia upsets top-seeded Stanford, advances to Elite Eight Mar 31
- Stanford breezes by Michigan in second round Mar 27
- Ogwumike helps Stanford survive Tulsa Mar 24
- Blue Devils triumph in first round yet again Mar 24
- No. 4 Stanford sneaks past UCLA for Pac-12 title Mar 10
- Ogwumike leads No. 4 Stanford over Colorado in Pac-12 semis Mar 10
- Stanford dominates Washington State in Pac-12 QFs Mar 9
- Ogwumike, Stanford down WSU for 14th straight victory Mar 2
- Cardinal cruise past slipping Huskies Mar 1
- Ogwumike sets Stanford single-game rebound record in rout of Oregon Feb 24
- No. 4 Stanford dominates Oregon State Feb 23
- Stanford stays hot by topping No. 15 UCLA Feb 17