Connecticut handles Prairie View in first round boutMar 17, 2012 - 9:36 PM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis paced the top-seeded Connecticut Huskies with 21 points and seven rebounds as they ran past the 16th-seeded Prairie View Lady Panthers to an 83-47 decision in the opening round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at Webster Bank Arena.
Bria Hartley added 18 points for UConn (30-4), while Stefanie Dolson chipped in 15 points. Kelly Faris dealt out eight assists to help the Huskies advance to the second round where they will square off with the eighth-seeded Kansas State Wildcats.
Latia Williams netted a team-high 20 points for Prairie View (17-16), JaQuandria Williams scored nine points, and Larissa Scott grabbed seven rebounds.
The Huskies managed to build a double-digit lead less than seven minutes after the opening tip off. Connecticut held a 46-32 advantage on the scoreboard at halftime courtesy of 48.4 percent shooting from the floor and its conversion of 11-of-12 attempts at the charity stripe in the opening period. The Lady Panthers shot 45.2 percent from the floor and made 4-of-8 from three-point range, but fell behind after they did not attempt a single free throw in the first frame.
Prairie View was completely shut down after the break as they managed to score only 15 second half points due to a poor 5-of-23 shooting effort from the floor. UConn kept its foot on the pedal and made 42.9 percent of its field goal attempts while matching its first half performance of 11-of-12 shooting at the free throw line in the final 20 minutes.
The Huskies dominated inside by outscoring Prairie View, 34-10, in the paint and holding a 45-23 advantage on the glass.
- PRAIRIE VIEW A&M: 47
Mar 17 3:37 PM
- PRAIRIE VIEW A&M: 32
Mar 17 2:29 PM
- PRAIRIE VIEW A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 1:52 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25
- Griner leads Baylor to blowout victory Mar 24
- Top-seed UConn moves on with rout of Idaho Mar 23
- Notre Dame edges UConn for first Big East Tournament title Mar 12
- No. 3 UConn beats Syracuse for spot in Big East final Mar 11
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10