Duke rolls over Samford to move onMar 19, 2012 - 2:36 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Tricia Liston scored 21 points to lead four players in double figures for the second-seeded Duke Blue Devils as they routed the 15th-seeded Samford Bulldogs, 82-47, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Memorial Gymnasium.
Chelsea Gray had 16 points, six rebounds and six assists, Haley Peters netted 13 points and brought down seven rebounds while Elizabeth Williams chipped in 11 points for Duke (25-5) which will take on seventh-seeded Vanderbilt in the second round.
Taylor Reece finished with 10 points as the only player in double figures for Samford (20-13).
Duke coasted to a 40-22 halftime advantage by shooting 55.6 percent from the field and limiting Samford to only seven field goals and 25.0 percent shooting in the frist twenty minutes.
The second half was more of the same as the Blue Devils hit on 48.1 percent of it's shots aand went 14-for-16 from the free throw line on their way to the win.
Duke outscored Stamford 38-12 on points in the paint and 26-12 on points off turnovers while holding a 41-23 edge on the glass.
- SAMFORD: 47
Mar 18 9:26 PM
- SAMFORD: 22
Mar 18 8:23 PM
- SAMFORD: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 7:41 PM
- Gray leads No. 2 Duke over No. 9 Cal Nov 10
- Duke extends McCallie through 2019 Apr 19
- Second half surge sends Fighting Irish to the Final Four Apr 2
- Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become Elite Mar 31
- Duke rallies from halftime deficit to dispatch Oklahoma State Mar 26
- Blue Devils triumph in first round yet again Mar 24
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 6 Duke downs No. 23 FSU in ACC semis Mar 9
- No. 6 Duke prevails in ACC quarters Mar 8
- No. 5 Duke overcomes 15th-ranked UNC Mar 3
- Miami-Florida knocks off No. 5 Duke Feb 28
- Duke rolls over Maryland to clinch ACC regular-season title Feb 24