SMU upsets No. 24 UTEP in Conference USA finalMar 10, 2008 - 2:04 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Brittany Gilliam scored 20 points to lead Southern Methodist to a 73-57 upset of No. 24 Texas-El Paso in the Conference USA tournament championship game on Sunday.
Sharee Shepherd scored 17 points, including a 12-for-12 effort from the free-throw line, as the Mustangs (24-8) avenged a pair of regular-season losses to the top-seeded Miners (27-3). The loss snapped UTEP's 23-game winning streak.
Katy Cobb scored 11 points, while Janielle Dodds added 10 and 11 rebounds for SMU.
The Mustangs led, 30-20, early in the second half when the Miners scored 18 consecutive points. SMU then responded with a 17-0 run over a span of 6:01 to take a 47-38 lead with 6:53 to play.
The Mustangs were 22-of-23 on free throws in the last five minutes, including 10-of-10 in the closing 60 seconds.
Izabela Piekarska, a 6-5 center, finished with 21 points and 10 rebounds for UTEP. Jareica Hughes had 19 points and Natasha Lacy chipped in 15 and seven rebounds for the Miners, who had only one other player score with Timika Williams adding two points.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penn State tops UTEP to advance Mar 18
- Dazzling effort by Wiggins powers Stanford Mar 25
- Barlow, rebounding key in Notre Dame's victory over SMU Mar 23
- UTEP cruises into second round with easy victory Mar 23
- Lacy, Hughes lead UTEP past Southern Miss Mar 9
- Hughes leads UTEP to 22nd straight win Mar 8
- Krezel, UTEP extend winning streak to 21 games Mar 1
- UTEP downs SMU, remains perfect in Conference USA Feb 29
- No. 25 UTEP clinches first conference title Feb 24
- Krezel, defense help Texas El-Paso squeak out win Feb 23
- Texas A&M rallies past SMU in season opener Nov 9