Smith, Black propel Duke into second roundMar 24, 2008 - 3:54 AM COLLEGE PARK, Maryland (Ticker) -- Wanisha Smith scored 16 points and Chante Black had 14 for third-seed Duke en route to a 78-57 win over Murray State in first-round action of the NCAA women's tournament from the Oklahoma City Region.
The Blue Devils (24-9), who led wire-to-wire, held a 48-29 rebounding advantage over the Racers and outscored Murray State in the paint, 46-18.
After Amber Guffey's jumper capped a 9-2 run to help the Racers cut a 15-point deficit to 37-32 just 2 1/2 minutes into the second half, Black scored six points over the next 8:49 as the Blue Devils used a 22-5 run to make it 59-37 with 9:39 to go.
Ashley Hayes scored 26 points for Murray State (24-8), the champions of the Ohio Valley Conference.
Duke will face sixth-seeded Arizona State in the second round on Tuesday.
- Duke extends McCallie through 2019 Apr 19
- Second half surge sends Fighting Irish to the Final Four Apr 2
- Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become Elite Mar 31
- Duke rallies from halftime deficit to dispatch Oklahoma State Mar 26
- Blue Devils triumph in first round yet again Mar 24
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 6 Duke downs No. 23 FSU in ACC semis Mar 9
- No. 6 Duke prevails in ACC quarters Mar 8
- No. 5 Duke overcomes 15th-ranked UNC Mar 3
- Miami-Florida knocks off No. 5 Duke Feb 28
- Duke rolls over Maryland to clinch ACC regular-season title Feb 24
- No. 5 Duke holds off No. 19 Florida State Feb 22