Coleman records first triple-double in school historyDec 3, 2006 - 3:17 AM COLLEGE PARK, Maryland (Ticker) -- Marissa Coleman collected 15 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists - recording the first triple-double in school history - as No. 1 Maryland rolled to a 105-44 victory over UC Santa-Barbara in a non-conference matchup.
Coleman went 6-of-8 from the floor and Laura Harper and Crystal Langhorne scored 19 and 18 points, respectively, for the reigning champion Terrapins (9-0), who built a 45-17 cushion in the first half.
With 6:26 left, Coleman notched her 10th assist by finding Langhorne for a layup on the fast break, sealing the program's first triple-double. That made the score 88-40.
"The triple double just snuck up on me," Coleman said. "The speech (coach Brenda Frese) gave us before practice really hit home. She said that this December, we were going to be driven so we wanted to take that to heart and wanted to go out and play a complete 40-minute game. I feel like any of our players could have accomplished what I did tonight."
"What a special performance out of Marisa," Frese said. "She made it look so easy."
Maryland shot 55 percent (17-of-31) before the break and warmed up afterwards, netting 23-of-32 shots (72 percent) from the floor.
Jenna Green scored 17 points for the Gauchos (1-5), who lost their fifth straight contest.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- Fourth-seed Maryland rolls over 13th-seed Quinnipiac Mar 23
- No. 15 UNC storms back to down No. 10 Maryland in ACC semis Mar 9
- Thomas shines as Maryland advances past Wake Forest in OT Mar 8
- Hawkins, Maryland cruise past Wake Forest Mar 3
- Deluzio's second chance lifts No. 24 FSU past No.9 Maryland Feb 28
- Duke rolls over Maryland to clinch ACC regular-season title Feb 24
- Thomas, Maryland roll over Boston College Feb 21
- Thomas leads Maryland in a rout of Virginia Feb 17
- No. 7 Maryland cruises past Clemson Feb 14
- Gray guides Duke over Maryland Feb 11