Arizona State claims tournament titleDec 3, 2006 - 5:31 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- Kirsten Thompson came through with her team shorthanded.
Thompson scored 19 points on 9-of-10 shooting to lead 12th-ranked Arizona State to an 85-72 victory over Northern Arizona in the championship game of the Arizona State Classic.
Danielle Orsillo also scored 19 points for the Sun Devils (7-1), who were without three starters, including Emily Westerberg, the team's leading scorer.
Westerberg, Reagan Pariseau and Aubree Johnson traveled to Idaho to attend the funeral of Johnson's 15-year-old brother, Jordan Johnson, who died in his sleep on November 25 while attending a tournament in the Virgin Islands to watch Arizona State play.
Jill Noe added 17 points and nine rebounds for the Sun Devils, who shot 56 percent (34-of-61) from the field.
Alyssa Wahl scored 18 points and Laura Dinkins added 15 and 13 rebounds for Northern Arizona (5-4), which shot 47 percent (26-of-55) overall and a torrid 56 percent (15-of-27) in the second half.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- No. 4 Stanford rolls past ASU for eighth straight victory Feb 10
- Cal cruises past Utah Feb 9
- Stanford downs ASU, gains Pac-12 final Mar 9
- Stanford fights off ASU behind Ogwumike sisters Feb 2
- Temple advances with stingy defensive effort Mar 19
- Stanford overcomes slow start to down ASU Feb 3
- Stanford dominates Arizona State Jan 8
- Appel's big game leads Stanford past Arizona State Feb 26
- No. 2 Stanford uses big second half for win Jan 29
- Arizona State defeats Washington State 64-59 Jan 9
- Walker, Dixon lead UCLA over No. 19 Arizona St. Jan 3
- USC rallies to beat No. 19 Arizona State Jan 1