Farrington named VMI's defensive coordinatorFeb 17, 2012 - 6:32 PM Lexington, VA (Sports Network) - VMI named Jeff Farrington as the new defensive coordinator of its football program on Friday.
Farrington became Mercer University's defensive coordinator last July as it builds a program that will debut in 2013. He followed head coach Bobby Lamb to Mercer from Furman University, where he was the defensive coordinator for nine seasons from 2002-10.
During that period, Furman made the NCAA I-AA (now FCS) playoffs four times, including an appearance in the 2005 national semifinals.
A graduate of The Citadel, Farrington also was a defensive coordinator at East Tennessee State (1997-2001), West Georgia (1992-96), Presbyterian (1991) and Lenoir-Rhyne (1987-90).
"He has coordinated in the Southern Conference and is very familiar with the teams we play," VMI head coach Sparky Woods said. "Being a graduate from The Citadel also makes him familiar with the day-to-day lifestyle that our players experience. He is a player's coach that will cause him to match perfectly with our present staff."
VMI finished 2-9 overall and 2-4 in the Big South Conference last season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- VMI to play Virginia, six at home Feb 27
- VMI to visit Navy, play six at home Feb 7
- Farrington expected to become VMI's defensive coordinator Feb 6
- Former VMI football coach Thalman, 89, passes Feb 3
- Hassin leads Army over VMI 29-7 Oct 30
- VMI defeats Charleston Southern 34-16 Oct 23
- Summers' 3 TD catches lead Liberty over VMI 41-7 Oct 16
- Stony Brook scores 20 straight, beats VMI 27-9 Oct 9
- VMI holds off Presbyterian 24-13 Oct 2
- Verica sharp as Virginia cruises past VMI, 48-7 Sep 25
- William & Mary blows out VMI at home 45-0 Sep 11