Liberty thump MercurySep 6, 2012 - 1:20 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Plenette Pierson scored a team-high 17 points on 8-of-13 shooting as the New York Liberty routed the Phoenix Mercury, 87-59, at Prudential Center on Wednesday.
Kara Braxton and Alex Montgomery had 12 points and five rebounds apiece, while Nicole Powell netted 11 points and Cappie Pondexter scored 10 points to go with eight assists for the Liberty, who have won back-to-back games on the heels of a three-game slide.
DeWanna Bonner paced the Mercury with a game-high 20 points, while Diana Taurasi had 10 points and Alexis Hornbuckle finished with 10 points and seven rebounds in the setback, which snapped a brief two-game winning streak for Phoenix.
New York led by 10 after one quarter and then took control of the game in the second quarter, outscoring Phoenix, 28-16, in the frame to hold a 51-29 margin at the break.
The Liberty dominated play inside, outscoring Phoenix by a 50-20 margin in the paint, while the lead grew to as large as 32 en route to the easy victory.
- Mystics acquire Hollingsworth from Liberty Apr 15
- Lynx acquire McCarville in three-team trade Mar 1
- Carson re-signs with Liberty, Smith signs as free agent Feb 26
- Bill Laimbeer appointed Liberty's coach/GM Oct 25
- Sun score final 14 points, sweep Liberty Sep 29
- League MVP Charles leads Sun to Game 1 win over Liberty Sep 28
- Mercury win No. 1 pick Sep 26
- Storm down Mercury in regular-season finale Sep 23
- Liberty use big second half to top Shock Sep 22
- Moore shines as Lynx maul Mercury Sep 22
- Mercury's Dupree signs extension Sep 21
- Shock win, but Liberty clinch playoff spot Sep 20