Liberty thump MercurySep 6, 2012 - 1:20 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Plenette Pierson scored a team-high 17 points on 8-of-13 shooting as the New York Liberty routed the Phoenix Mercury, 87-59, at Prudential Center on Wednesday.
Kara Braxton and Alex Montgomery had 12 points and five rebounds apiece, while Nicole Powell netted 11 points and Cappie Pondexter scored 10 points to go with eight assists for the Liberty, who have won back-to-back games on the heels of a three-game slide.
DeWanna Bonner paced the Mercury with a game-high 20 points, while Diana Taurasi had 10 points and Alexis Hornbuckle finished with 10 points and seven rebounds in the setback, which snapped a brief two-game winning streak for Phoenix.
New York led by 10 after one quarter and then took control of the game in the second quarter, outscoring Phoenix, 28-16, in the frame to hold a 51-29 margin at the break.
The Liberty dominated play inside, outscoring Phoenix by a 50-20 margin in the paint, while the lead grew to as large as 32 en route to the easy victory.
- Mercury name Brondello head coach Nov 15
- Lynx sweep Mercury, return to WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Whalen, Lynx rout Mercury to take 1-0 lead in West finals Sep 27
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20
- Hill, Mystics down Liberty Sep 15
- Sparks pummel Mercury in playoff preview Sep 15
- Taurasi's double-double powers Mercury past Silver Stars Sep 14
- Catchings, Fever hold off Liberty Sep 13
- Sky beat Mercury on Delle Donne's buzzer-beater Sep 11
- Mercury upend Liberty behind Bonner's outside shooting Sep 10