Streaking Giants hit 6 HRs, sweep RockiesSep 19, 2011 - 1:13 AM
Mike Fontenot and Matt Cain added two-run blasts, while Brandon Belt and Brandon Crawford both clubbed a solo shot for the Giants.
San Francisco completed its first four-game sweep at Coors Field since August 26-29, 2002, and extended its winning streak to a season-best eight games.
"It was a great series for the offense," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
The Giants are still five games behind the NL West-leading Arizona Diamondbacks, but closed to within four games of Atlanta in the wild card race.
Despite the rare run support, Cain (12-10) labored through five innings, tossing 111 pitches. The right-hander gave up five runs -- three earned -- on five hits and walked four.
The Giants averaged just 3.27 runs in Cain's previous 31 starts this season.
Seth Smith and Ty Wigginton both had two hits and an RBI for Colorado. Esmil Rogers (6-6) was tagged for nine runs and seven hits in 3 2/3 innings.
"The game boils down to this obviously; they hit six home runs that accounted for 10 of the 12 runs that they got. That's it. There's very little else to say," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
The Giants took a 2-0 lead when Andres Torres led off the game with a walk and scored on Fontenot's home run to right field.
San Francisco resumed its power surge after Smith's sacrifice fly in the third.
Sandoval opened the fourth with a drive to left-center and Belt went deep two batters later. Crawford then doubled and scored on Cain's fifth career home run, a two-out smash over the center-field wall.
After Torres walked and Rogers plunked Fontenot, Carlos Beltran hit an RBI single, chasing Rogers from the game.
Greg Reynolds took over on the mound and Sandoval greeted him by crushing a three-run homer to right field, extending the Giants' lead to 10-1.
Colorado had two on with one out in the bottom of the fourth and a throwing error by Fontenot allowed Wigginton to score. Another runner came home on a fielder's choice.
The Giants got one of the runs back on Crawford's leadoff blast in the fifth, and the Rockies pushed across two runs in the home half on RBI hits by Wigginton and Chris Iannetta.
Beltran scored from third on an error in the sixth.
Giants closer Brian Wilson returned from the disabled list Sunday and tossed a 1-2-3 eighth, his first action since August 15 due to elbow inflammation...Rogers entered Sunday with a 9.86 ERA at home this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 12
Sep 18 6:21 PM
- Aubrey Huff reached first on Chris Nelson's fielding error scored Carlos Beltran. Runner on first with one out and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 12, Rockies 5 Top 6, 1 OutSep 18 5:12 PM
- Chris Iannetta singled to center scored Kevin Kouzmanoff. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Thomas Field due up.
Giants 11, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 18 5:01 PM
- Ty Wigginton doubled to right scored Seth Smith. On the play, Kevin Kouzmanoff advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Giants 11, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 18 4:59 PM
- Brandon Crawford lead-off Home Run (3) to right center. Eli Whiteside due up.
Giants 11, Rockies 3 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 18 4:45 PM
- Eric Young Jr. grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Chris Iannetta. Greg Reynolds out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Giants 10, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 18 4:41 PM
- Greg Reynolds grounded into a fielder's choice scored Ty Wigginton. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third on Mike Fontenot's throwing error. Runners on first and third with one out and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Giants 10, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 18 4:38 PM
- Pablo Sandoval two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (22) to right scored Mike Fontenot and Carlos Beltran. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 10, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 18 4:25 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to left scored Andres Torres. On the play, Mike Fontenot advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 18 4:22 PM
- Matt Cain two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Brandon Crawford. Andres Torres due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 18 4:20 PM
- Brandon Belt one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 18 4:14 PM
- Pablo Sandoval lead-off Home Run (21) to left center. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 18 4:09 PM
- Seth Smith sacrifice fly out to left scored Eric Young Jr. Runner on second with two outs and Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 18 4:04 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 3:14 PM
- Yankees pick up Brignac from Colorado 1:00p
- Lincecum shoots for consecutive wins at Coors 9:29a
- Rockies hold on, edge Giants in slugfest 2:18a
- Giants seek another win over Rockies Fri
- Crawford, Giants beat Rockies Fri
- Rockies' Francis headed for DL Thu
- Giants aim to continue dominance of Rockies Thu
- Jays sweep Giants Thu
- Samardzija's arm, bat leads Cubs to series win Thu
- Rockies, Cubs close out set at Wrigley Wed
- Giants hope Vogelsong bounces back in Toronto Wed
- Gonzalez, Rockies pound Cubs Wed