Wells, Mariners top Diamondbacks in extrasJun 20, 2012 - 7:30 AM
J.J. Putz (1-4) came out for his second inning of work after throwing a perfect ninth to send the game into extra frames and immediately got himself in trouble. He walked Justin Smoak and allowed a single to Dustin Ackley before being removed in favor of Brad Ziegler.
Brendan Ryan put down a perfect sacrifice bunt to move both runners up and Wells smoked a base hit through the right side of the infield to score pinch- runner Munenori Kawasaki and Ackley. Ichiro Suzuki added an RBI double -- his fourth hit of the game -- to give the Mariners a three-run cushion.
"We've got some good young players here and I know we're a little bit inconsistent at times but we're getting more and more consistent offensively," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "To be able to put a big inning together like that ... says a great deal."
Charlie Furbush (3-1) earned the win with two innings of scoreless relief for the M's, who have won three of their last four games. Tom Wilhelmsen worked a perfect bottom of the 10th to nail down his fifth save of the season.
Kyle Seager crushed a three-run homer and added an RBI single, Ryan slammed a three-run shot and Smoak added a solo homer in the victory.
Gerardo Parra and Aaron Hill clubbed solo home runs, while Paul Goldschmidt added a solo shot and a two-run base hit in defeat for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped three of their last four contests.
Seattle struck first in the second via a solo shot from Smoak, and added another run in its next at-bat on an RBI base hit into left field by Seager, but the Diamondbacks plated three runs in the home third to take the lead.
Willie Bloomquist kicked the inning off with a triple over the head of Franklin Gutierrez in center field and scored on a sacrifice fly by Hill for the first run of the frame. Justin Upton reached on an error and Jason Kubel laced a double into the right field corner to put runners on second and third before Goldschmidt drove home Upton and Kubel with a base hit to make it 3-2.
Parra and Hill roped solo shots in the fourth to extend the Arizona lead to 5-2, but it wouldn't last as the M's put up six runs in the fifth to take an 8-5 lead.
Suzuki singled and Gutierrez walked before Seager got a hold of a fastball from Arizona starter Daniel Hudson and crushed it deep into the right field seats to tie the game at five. Jesus Montero and Michael Saunders hit back-to-back singles to chase Hudson. Craig Breslow entered and struck out Smoak and Ackley, but left a pitch up to Ryan, who deposited it into the pool beyond the fence in right-center to make it 8-5.
"I'm just in a stretch right now where I'm making good pitches but balls are finding holes and I just can't make a pitch to get out of an inning," said Hudson.
Arizona responded with three runs in the home fifth to tie the game at eight. Goldschmidt launched a solo shot to straightaway center field for the first run of the frame. Lyle Overbay punched a pinch-hit RBI single into center later in the frame and Bloomquist capped the inning with an RBI single into center.
Kubel ripped a single up the middle to start the Arizona sixth and made it to third on two consecutive wild pitches by Mariners reliever Lucas Luetge before scoring on a base hit by Miguel Montero to give the D-Backs a 9-8 lead.
Ryan drew a one-out walk in the Mariners eighth and went first-to-third on a pinch-hit single by John Jaso. Suzuki then lofted a sacrifice to center to bring home Ryan, tying the game at nine.
Suzuki finished 4-for-5 and recorded his 2,500th career hit with a single up the middle to lead off the game...Arizona fell to 7-6 in interleague play this season and 50-61 all-time against the American League at home...Furbush has recorded at least one strikeout in each of his last 14 games...Mariners starter Erasmo Ramirez allowed five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and a walk with five strikeouts over four innings...Hudson gave up seven runs on 10 hits and two walks with six strikeouts in four frames...Seattle went 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- SEATTLE: 12
Jun 20 1:40 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki double to center scored Casper Wells with one out. Runner on second and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 12, Diamondbacks 9 Top 10, 1 OutJun 20 1:30 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Casper Wells single to center scored Munenori Kawasaki and Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on first and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 11, Diamondbacks 9 Top 10, 1 OutJun 20 1:27 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki sacrifice fly to right scored Brendan Ryan with two out. On the play, John Jaso advances to second. Runner on second and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 9, Diamondbacks 9 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 20 12:47 AM
- Miguel Montero single to right scored Jason Kubel with none out. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Bell due up.
Mariners 8, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 20 12:16 AM
- Willie Bloomquist single to center scored Gerardo Parra with two out. On the play, Lyle Overbay advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aaron Hill due up.
Mariners 8, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 19 11:50 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Lyle Overbay single to center scored Josh Bell with two out. On the play, Gerardo Parra advances to third. Runners on first and third and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Mariners 8, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 19 11:49 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Miguel Montero due up.
Mariners 8, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 19 11:40 PM
- Brendan Ryan two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Jesus Montero and Michael Saunders. Erasmo Ramirez due up.
Mariners 8, Diamondbacks 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 19 11:32 PM
- Jesus Montero singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 5 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 19 11:18 PM
- Aaron Hill two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Justin Upton due up.
Mariners 2, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 19 11:08 PM
- Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Daniel Hudson due up.
Mariners 2, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 19 11:05 PM
- Miguel Montero popped out to first. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Bell due up.
Mariners 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 19 10:47 PM
- Justin Upton reached first on Brendan Ryan's fielding error. Runner on first with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Mariners 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 19 10:38 PM
- Kyle Seager single to left scored Ichiro Suzuki with one out. Runner on first and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 19 10:28 PM
- Justin Smoak two-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 19 10:05 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 9:40 PM
- Rounding Third: Seattle finally gets its man Fri
- Report: Mariners, Cano agree on $240 million deal Fri
- Mariners ink Bloomquist to two-year deal Thu
- Diamondbacks name Harkey pitching coach Dec 2
- Bloomquist to return to Seattle on 2-year deal Dec 2
- Mariners formally introduce McClendon Nov 7
- Mariners hire McClendon as manager Nov 5
- Mariners decline 2014 options on Gutierrez, Saunders Nov 1
- Cabrera, Goldschmidt win Hank Aaron Award Oct 27
- Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with P Reynolds Oct 15
- Blanco to test free agency Oct 10
- Diamondbacks bringing back Gibson Oct 8