Johnson carries D-Backs past PiratesAug 8, 2012 - 3:42 AM
Pittsburgh went ahead in the seventh when rookie Starling Marte belted a leadoff home run and Neil Walker added a bases-loaded sacrifice fly for a 4-3 advantage, but Jason Grilli (1-4) failed to hold the lead.
Paul Goldschmidt began the eighth with a double off the Pirates reliever before crossing the plate courtesy of consecutive singles by Justin Upton and Miguel Montero.
Johnson then sent a 1-0 fastball over the wall in right-center field, making it 7-4.
"I'm feeling good with myself, seeing the ball pretty well before that too," said Johnson. "I'm just trying to keep it simple."
Brad Ziegler (5-1) earned the win, entering after Walker's sac fly and inducing Michael McKenry into an inning-ending double play.
Montero added an RBI double in the ninth before Johnson blasted a two- run homer to center field. The third baseman has five home runs and 15 RBI in eight games since being acquired from the Astros on July 29.
"The last six outs were very difficult to get tonight," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle.
Stephen Drew went 3-for-4 with a homer and two RBI for the Diamondbacks, who had lost three straight, including the opener of this four-game series on Monday.
Patrick Corbin got the start and the no-decision for Arizona, allowing two runs on six hits with three walks and seven strikeouts over six innings.
Diamondbacks pitchers have now recorded a season-high eight straight quality starts.
Pittsburgh went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left the bases loaded in the fifth and runners at the corners in the sixth.
Jeff Karstens brought a 20-inning home scoreless streak into Tuesday, but allowed the Diamondbacks to take a 1-0 lead in their first at-bat when Goldschmidt singled home Drew.
In all, Karstens was charged with three runs on eight hits with four strikeouts over six innings. He did not issue a walk.
Andrew McCutchen went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI in the setback. He hit a sac fly in the first inning, then singled home Travis Snider in the third after Drew led off the top of the frame with his second home of the season.
Arizona, which is just 2-6 in its last eight games at PNC Park, went ahead 3-2 in the fourth when Gerardo Para singled, moved up on a sac bunt, and came home on Drew's base hit up the middle.
"That's good lineup over there," Hurdle said of the Diamondbacks. "They can hit the ball. They can do some damage."
Marte's third career homer -- a blast into the shrubbery beyond the center field wall -- tied it in the seventh.
Despite the loss, the Pirates are still 13-7 over their last 20 games.
The last time Diamondbacks pitchers recorded eight straight quality starts was during an 11-game stretch from September 12-22, 2008...Montero leads all major league catchers with 66 RBI this season...McKenry went 1-for-4 and extended his hit streak to eight games.
- ARIZONA: 10
Aug 7 10:26 PM
- Chris Johnson two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (13) to center scored Miguel Montero. Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Pirates 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 7 10:16 PM
- Gerardo Parra reached first on Pedro Alvarez' throwing error. Runner on first with none out and Brad Ziegler due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Pirates 4 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 7 9:53 PM
- Brad Ziegler enters the game for the Diamondbacks with runners on first and second and one out, batting 9th.
Diamondbacks 3, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 7 9:33 PM
- Garrett Jones is pinch-hitting for Gaby Sanchez.
Diamondbacks 3, Pirates 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 7 9:24 PM
- Neil Walker grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Michael McKenry due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 7 8:22 PM
- Gerardo Parra singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Patrick Corbin due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 7 8:12 PM
- Stephen Drew lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 7 7:46 PM
- Andrew McCutchen flied into a fielder's choice, center to second scoring Starling Marte. Travis Snider out at second. Runner on first with one out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 7 7:26 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt singled off pitcher to third scoring Stephen Drew. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 7 7:13 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 7:06 PM
- Samardzija eyes another win in the Steel City 10:16a
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors 10:13a
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 1:50a
- Snider slams Pirates past Cubs 1:46a
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon
- Nolasco helps Marlins avoid sweep Sun
- Alvarez homers, Pittsburgh pitches past Houston Sun
- D'backs rely on Miley in Miami finale Sun
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros Sun