Cahill shines as D'backs down GiantsSep 6, 2012 - 6:54 AM
Cahill (10-11) was charged with two runs on two hits and a pair of walks with five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings to earn his first win since July 30.
"Your adrenaline starts getting up and I was trying to maybe do too much at the end and just kind of got a little bit tired," Cahill said, referring to his early success.
Chris Johnson clubbed a two-run double, while Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Miguel Montero and John McDonald all knocked in a run for the Diamondbacks, who have won back-to-back games on the heels of a three-game slide.
Brandon Belt smoked a two-run single for the Giants, who have lost two straight after winning three in a row. Madison Bumgarner (14-10) was saddled with his third straight loss after allowing four runs on seven hits and two walks with five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
The Diamondbacks jumped out front with a run in their first at-bat when Adam Eaton singled to begin the game and came around to cross the plate later in the inning via a base hit by Montero.
Johnson smoked a triple into the right-center field gap with one out in the fourth and scored on a single by McDonald to stretch the lead to 2-0.
The D-backs broke the game open with four runs in the seventh. Eaton started the rally with a one-out infield single and scored when Hill ripped a double into the left-center field gap. Goldschmidt drove home Hill two batters later with a base hit and Johnson capped the inning with a two-run double down the right field line, making it a 6-0 game.
San Francisco finally got on the board with a pair of runs in the home seventh. Scutaro ended Cahill's no-hit bid with a single into right leading off the inning. Buster Posey beat out an infield hit and Hunter Pence walked to load the bases.
Cahill was removed for Mike Zagurski, who allowed a two-run single to Belt, pulling the Giants within 6-2.
Facing Matt Lindstrom, Scutaro slapped his second hit of the night into center field leading off the ninth inning, but Lindstrom fanned Pablo Sandoval, Posey and Pence to secure the win.
"The game wasn't very pretty for us tonight," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "Their guy pitched pretty well. The two-out hits killed us."
San Francisco fell to 7-7 in rubber games this season, and have lost six of their last eight such contests ... The Giants have allowed 13-or-more hits in three consecutive games for the first time since the 2009 season ... San Francisco fell to 38-30 at home, and have lost 14 of their last 21 contests at AT&T ... San Francisco begins a three-game set against the Los Angeles Dodgers, while Arizona will begin a three-game set in San Diego on Friday.
- ARIZONA: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Sep 6 1:07 AM
- Brandon Belt singled to right center scored Marco Scutaro and Buster Posey. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 6 12:20 AM
- Chris Johnson doubled to right scored Paul Goldschmidt and Miguel Montero. Runner on second with two outs and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 6 12:03 AM
- Miguel Montero singled to left. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 5 11:59 PM
- Aaron Hill doubled to left center scored Adam Eaton. On the play, Hill advances to third on Brandon Crawford's throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 0 Top 7, 1 OutSep 5 11:51 PM
- John McDonald singled to left scored Chris Johnson. Runner on first with two outs and Trevor Cahill due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 5 11:10 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to center scored Adam Eaton. On the play, Justin Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 5 10:23 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 10:16 PM
- Nats slip by Giants in 10 11:48p
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again 8:45p
- Bumgarner, Giants eye sweep of Nationals Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Sandoval's homer in the 10th lifts Giants over Nats Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Giants place Vogelsong, Casilla on DL Tue
- Strasburg, Cain square off in San Fran Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Vogelsong breaks hand as Giants down Nats Tue
- Giants' Vogelsong fractures right hand Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue