Gee pitches Mets past OriolesJun 21, 2012 - 4:12 AM
The Orioles were blanked in the first two games of this series, and Gee carried a one-hitter into the eighth until Nick Johnson singled and Wilson Betemit unloaded a two-run homer to right field.
The Orioles had a call go against them later in the eighth when they may have loaded the bases, but they filled them in the ninth before Frank Francisco walked Steve Pearce on four straight pitches. Francisco then got Brian Roberts to hit a ground ball to second base for the final out and recorded his 17th save.
"He's my closer and actually he's been throwing great," Mets manager Terry Collins reasoned as to why he left Francisco in the game. "He hasn't been out there very much. He needs the work."
Gee (5-5) reached the 100-pitch mark following his walk to Pearce with one out in the eighth and was removed from the game. It was nonetheless a spectacular night for the 26-year-old right-hander, who snapped a four-start winless streak. Gee allowed three hits, walked two and tied a career-high with nine strikeouts.
David Wright went 3-for-4 with an RBI and scored once for the Mets, while Scott Hairston doubled twice and also knocked in a run.
Brian Matusz (5-8) allowed seven hits and three runs over 4 2/3 innings, and dropped his third straight start.
"For me I like to be able to go deeper in games. That's what's frustrating today," Matusz said.
Betemit's homer ended a 29-inning scoreless streak for Mets pitching. It was the first run given up by them since allowing three to the Reds in the fifth inning on Sunday.
Bobby Parnell replaced Gee and allowed a single to Roberts, but J.J. Hardy was called out on batter's interference when a batted ball hit near the plate and bounced off his left knee as he was leaving the batter's box.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter argued, but the call remained and Chris Davis flied out to the warning track in left to end the inning.
Matt Wieters and Johnson singled with one out in the ninth. and with two down Wieters and pinch-runner Robert Andino advanced on a wild pitch. Pinch-hitter Mark Reynolds walked leading to the final two batters.
The Mets went ahead in the fourth when Hairston doubled to left field, and with two outs and runners on the corners, Mike Nickeas hit a line drive to center. Adam Jones made a diving attempt, but the ball popped out of his glove, resulting in the first run.
Hairston had an RBI ground-rule double to left field in the fifth, and Wright scored later in the inning when Vinny Rottino broke up a potential double play with a takeout slide at second on a ball hit by Ike Davis.
Wright's ground-rule double in the sixth scored Gee, who doubled over the head of Jones earlier in the inning.
Wright has an 11-game hitting streak...The Orioles have dropped six straight to the Mets dating back to June 11, 2010...Matusz is 0-7 lifetime in interleague starts.
- BALTIMORE: 3
NEW YORK: 4
Jun 20 10:08 PM
- Steve Pearce's walk scored Matt Wieters with two out. Bases loaded and Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 3, Mets 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 20 10:07 PM
- Wilson Betemit none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Nick Johnson. Pedro Strop due up.
Orioles 2, Mets 4 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 20 9:26 PM
- David Wright ground-rule double to left center scored Dillon Gee with two out. On the play, Andres Torres advances to third. Runners on second and third and Scott Hairston due up.
Orioles 0, Mets 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 9:01 PM
- Ike Davis' fielder's choice, short to second scored David Wright with two out. Vinny Rottino out at second. Scott Hairston advances to third. Runners on first and third and Justin Turner due up.
Orioles 0, Mets 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 20 8:38 PM
- Scott Hairston ground-rule double to left scored Jordany Valdespin with one out. On the play, David Wright advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Vinny Rottino due up.
Orioles 0, Mets 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 8:35 PM
- Mike Nickeas single to right center scored Scott Hairston with two out. On the play, Justin Turner advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dillon Gee due up.
Orioles 0, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 20 8:18 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 7:11 PM
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs 7:58p
- Moore wins major league-best eighth game as Rays sweep O's 7:12p
- Series up for grabs, as Mets and Cubs battle at Wrigley 9:28a
- Moore tries to win ninth straight decision in Camden finale 9:27a
- Rays use 6-run ninth to down O's Sat
- Feldman shines as Cubs rout Mets Sat
- Orioles bring up Jurrjens, Reimold to DL Sat
- Hefner eyes first win of season at Wrigley Sat
- Jurrjens makes O's debut in middle tilt with Rays Sat
- Rays nip Orioles in Baltimore slugfest Sat
- Harvey pitches, hits Mets past Cubs Fri
- Orioles welcome Rays to town for weekend series Fri