Morales helps Angels edge OriolesJul 6, 2012 - 5:47 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales went 3-for-4 with three RBI as the LA Angels of Anaheim took a 9-7 win over the Baltimore Orioles in the opener of a four-game set.
Mike Trout went 2-for-2 with a walk, two RBI and two runs scored while Howie Kendrick added two this, drove in one and scored twice for the Angels, who had dropped four of six coming in.
Garrett Richards started on the mound, but lasted just 4 1/3 innings as he was tagged for seven runs on 10 hits. LaTroy Hawkins (2-1) got the final two outs of the fifth to grab the win.
Matt Wieters smacked a three-run home run and drove in four for the Orioles, who had won their previous two. Xavier Avery had two hits and scored twice in the loss.
Jake Arrieta didn't fare well in his start, either, as he was touched for six runs on five hits over just 3 2/3 innings. Luis Ayala (2-2) gave up two runs in the fourth to take the loss.
The teams traded runs in the first inning as Jim Thome singled home Avery in the Baltimore half and Morales brought in Trout with a single in the Angels portion.
Back-to-back homers from Mark Reynolds and Ryan Flaherty started the second inning for the Orioles, and they tacked on another run later in the inning on a Wieters groundout that scored Robert Andino for a 4-1 lead.
The Angels chipped away at the deficit in the second on run-scoring singles from Erick Aybar and Trout in the bottom of the second to make it a 4-3 game.
Baltimore, though, went up big in the fourth as Wieters launched a pitch over the right field wall with two on to make it a 7-3 game.
In the bottom of the frame, the Angels answered to take the lead. Kendrick got the scoring started with an RBI single and Aybar followed with a double. After John Hester struck out, Trout lofted a sac fly to plate Kendrick and chase Arrieta from the game.
Luis Ayala took the mound and Torii Hunter greeted him with a single to center to make it a one-run game. Albert Pujols then singled to put runners on the corners and quickly stole second. Morales punched a single to left that brought home both runners for an 8-7 lead.
In the sixth, Trout led off with a walk, stole second and then swiped third that saw Wieters' throw to the bag go wide and Trout trotted home for a 9-7 lead.
Ernesto Frieri pitched around a leadoff walk to J.J. Hardy in the ninth to pick up his 11th save of the season.
Before the game, the Angels placed pitcher Dan Haren on the disabled list with lower back stiffness. It is the first time in his career that Haren is on the DL and the team recalled pitcher Kevin Jepsen from Triple-A Salt Lake to take the roster spot...The Angels have won five of six from the Orioles this season...Kendrick has a 10-game hitting streak.
- BALTIMORE: 7
LOS ANGELES: 9
Jul 6 1:33 AM
- Mike Trout stole third scored on Matt Wieters's throwing error with one out. None on and Albert Pujols at the plate.
Orioles 7, Angels 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 6 12:47 AM
- Kendrys Morales single to left scored Torii Hunter and Albert Pujols, advances to second on Xavier Avery's fielding error with two out. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Orioles 7, Angels 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 6 12:00 AM
- Torii Hunter single to center scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Orioles 7, Angels 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 5 11:54 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly out to center scored Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 7, Angels 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 5 11:51 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Alberto Callaspo with none out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Orioles 7, Angels 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 5 11:42 PM
- Matt Wieters two-out, three-run Home Run (12) to right scored Xavier Avery and J.J. Hardy. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 7, Angels 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 5 11:32 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly out to right scored Howie Kendrick with two out. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runner on third and Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 5 11:04 PM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Alberto Callaspo with none out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second. Runners on first and second and John Hester due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 5 11:02 PM
- Matt Wieters grounded out short to first scoring Robert Andino with two out. On the play, Xavier Avery advances to second. Runner on second and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 5 10:50 PM
- Ryan Flaherty Home Run (2) to left center. Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 5 10:40 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 5 10:39 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to right scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Orioles 1, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 5 10:34 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Orioles 1, Angels 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 5 10:26 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 10:10 PM
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles 10:40a
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners 10:19a
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle 1:40a
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees 1:14a
- Orioles Gonzalez reinstated from DL Tue
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon
- Vargas pitches Angels past White Sox Sun
- Moore wins major league-best eighth game as Rays sweep O's Sun
- Angels shoot for split in set with White Sox Sun