Rays edge O's in openerAug 4, 2012 - 5:13 AM
Matt Moore (8-7) earned the win after tossing 5 1/3 scoreless innings. He scattered six hits and struck out six for the Rays, who have won three straight and five of their last six.
Fernando Rodney retired the side in order in the ninth to secure his major league-leading 32nd save of the season.
Adam Jones and Matt Wieters each had a pair of hits for the Orioles, who have lost two in a row.
Tommy Hunter (4-7) allowed two runs on six hits -- including both homers -- and struck out three over 5 2/3 frames to absorb the loss.
"A guy goes out and throws like that, gives up two runs, he keeps you in the game," Orioles third baseman Mark Reynolds said of Hunter's start. "And we've got to do a better job of getting him some runs and let him go out there and throw,"
Upton's homer in the fourth gave the Rays a 1-0 lead. It was the 100th of his career. Upton's younger brother, Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton, also hit his 100th career home run Friday night.
"Mom and dad have to be really proud tonight," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Jennings lifted a homer to left in the sixth.
Later in the inning, with runners on first and second, Carlos Pena drove one to deep center, but Adam Jones made a spectacular leaping catch to save at least one run.
Baltimore wasted two opportunities to score in both the first and eighth.
The Orioles loaded the bases in the first, but were unable to score. Nick Markakis and Jones each singled before Chris Davis walked to load the bases. But Moore fanned Mark Reynolds to end the threat
In the eighth, Wieters and Davis each hit one-out singles to put runners on first and second, but Joel Peralta struck out Reynolds and Wilson Betemit to preserve the lead.
The Rays have allowed just one run in their last three games...Moore leads all rookies in wins since June 1 with 7...The Orioles are 14-21 in series opening games...Betemit had a six-game hitting streak snapped...Prior to the game Baltimore sent pitcher Pat Neshek to the Oakland Athletics for cash considerations.
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 2
Aug 3 9:56 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (8) to left. B.J. Upton due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 3 8:59 PM
- Matt Joyce grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 3 8:19 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 7:12 PM
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre 10:41a
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles 10:40a
- Rays outlast Blue Jays 2:03a
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees 1:14a
- Orioles Gonzalez reinstated from DL Tue
- Ortiz leads Jays into meeting with visiting Rays Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Encarnacion, Blue Jays top Rays Mon
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon
- Jays' Dickey takes on familiar Rays up north Mon
- Moore wins major league-best eighth game as Rays sweep O's Sun