Chen, O's blank RaysAug 5, 2012 - 4:35 AM
Chen (10-6) struck out four and walked just one to pick up his third win in four starts.
"He's got a good understanding of what's going on at this level and we hope to ride it," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said of Chen.
Chris Davis had two hits and drove in a pair of runs while Nick Markakis and Matt Wieters each had an RBI for the Orioles, who have won four of their last six. Nate McClouth, who was recalled from Triple-A Norfolk prior to the game, went 2-for-4 with a double and a RBI.
Ben Zobrist went 2-for-3 for the Rays, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Jeremy Hellickson (6-7) was saddled with the loss after giving up all four runs on eight hits over four innings. He walked four and struck out four in his shortest outing since June 30th.
"Helli (Hellickson) just had an off night," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "Chen was good, we needed to keep it closer than four."
Wieters' RBI base hit in the first gave Orioles a 1-0 lead. Nick Markakis walked to open the inning then moved to second on an Adam Jones single. Wieters then ripped a single to plate Markakis.
Baltimore added another run in the second. Nate McLouth doubled to right- center and then scored when Markakis singled to center.
The O's tacked on two more in the fourth to go up 4-0. Reynolds and Markakis walked before J.J. Hardy singled to load the bases. Davis followed with a single to push Reynolds and Markakis across.
The Rays got two runners on with one out in the fourth but were unable to get a run home. Zobrist and Jeff Keppinger singled but Chen struck out Carlos Pena and Sean Rodriguez popped out to Wieters to end the threat.
The Orioles have five shutouts this season...Prior to the game Baltimore selected the contract of McClouth from Triple-A Norfolk and designated outfielder Endy Chavez for assignment...Hellickson has allowed four or more runs just four times in 20 starts this season...The Rays continued to struggle against left-handed pitching. They are batting just .225 against lefties this season...Tampa Bay went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position.
- BALTIMORE: 4
TAMPA BAY: 0
Aug 4 10:01 PM
- Chris Davis singled to center scored Mark Reynolds and Nick Markakis. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 4 8:26 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to right center scored Nate McLouth. Runner on first with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 4 7:48 PM
- Matt Wieters singled to right scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Wilson Betemit due up.
Orioles 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 4 7:25 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 7:12 PM
- Orioles slug their way past Jays 1:47a
- Yanks cruise past Rays 10:33p
- Rays hope to extend home success over Yankees 10:45a
- Rolling Blue Jays turn to Nolin vs. Orioles 10:44a
- Toronto's Encarnacion slams Orioles Thu
- Orioles make roster moves Thu
- Orioles pay a visit to Blue Jays Thu
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense Thu
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 Thu
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre Wed
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles Wed
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed