New Cub clubbed: Brewers ruin Maholm's Chicago debutApr 11, 2012 - 6:34 AM
Jonathan Lucroy hit a solo home run and added an RBI single for the Brewers, who have opened this four-game set with consecutive wins.
Milwaukee's Chris Narveson (1-0) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on six hits in five innings of work.
"[Narveson] did a nice job of battling," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Alfonso Soriano went 2-for-4 and knocked in two runs for Chicago.
Paul Maholm (0-1) struggled in his Cubs debut, surrendering six runs on six hits over four frames. The left-hander joined Chicago after a seven-year stint with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Brewers set the tone during their first turn at the plate.
Rickie Weeks walked to leadoff the game and Carlos Gomez followed with a double. A sacrifice fly by Ryan Braun opened the scoring.
Gomez moved to third on Braun's fly ball to center field, then beat Chicago first baseman Jeff Baker's throw home. Former Cub Aramis Ramirez reached on the fielder's choice and Maholm hit Corey Hart with a pitch before Gonzalez launched a home run to left field.
"[Maholm] couldn't get the ball inside for strikes. Just snowballed a little bit in that first inning," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum.
Lucroy went deep in the top of the third, but Chicago halved its deficit in the bottom of the inning.
David DeJesus and Darwin Barney hit back-to-back one-out singles, and Starlin Castro walked to load the bases for Soriano, who plated a pair with a base hit up the middle.
The bases were loaded again when Gonzalez misplayed a ground ball off the bat of Ian Stewart. Baker closed the gap to 6-3 with a sac fly.
Lucroy singled home Ramirez in the seventh to push Milwaukee's lead to four.
Brewers reliever Jose Veras gave up a leadoff home run to Geovany Soto in the ninth. A one-out walk prompted Roenicke to summon Francisco Rodriguez from the bullpen.
Rodriguez retired both batters he faced to notch his first save of the season.
Maholm threw 41 pitches in the first inning, 20 for strikes...Milwaukee finished 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10 men on base...DeJesus had two hits and drew a walk.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
Apr 10 11:25 PM
- Geovany Soto lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Marlon Byrd due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 10 11:14 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scored Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Mat Gamel advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Marco Estrada due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 10 10:30 PM
- Geovany Soto grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Brewers 6, Cubs 3 End 3Apr 10 9:23 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scored David DeJesus and Darwin Barney. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ian Stewart due up.
Brewers 6, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 10 9:16 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Chris Narveson due up.
Brewers 6, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 10 9:04 PM
- Alex Gonzalez one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Aramis Ramirez and Corey Hart. Mat Gamel due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 10 8:20 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded into a fielder's choice scored Carlos Gomez. Runner on first with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 10 8:16 PM
- Ryan Braun sacrifice fly out to center scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 10 8:13 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 10 8:07 PM
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers 11:57p
- Dodgers begin series in Milwaukee with Kershaw on the hill 10:41a
- Cardinals down Brewers Sun
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs Sun
- Lohse hopes to deliver series win for Brewers in St. Louis Sun
- Series up for grabs, as Mets and Cubs battle at Wrigley Sun
- Brewers top Cardinals in 10 innings Sun
- Feldman shines as Cubs rout Mets Sat
- Hefner eyes first win of season at Wrigley Sat
- Lynn shoots for seventh win of year against Brewers Sat
- Freese helps Cardinals outslug Brewers Sat
- Harvey pitches, hits Mets past Cubs Fri