White Sox get past CubsMay 20, 2012 - 4:03 AM
The White Sox had been 0-5-3 over the previous eight series, but by taking the first two contests at Wrigley Field they posted their first such triumph since sweeping a three-game set in Seattle, April 20-22.
Danks (3-4), who had been winless over his previous four starts, allowed three hits and had four strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.
"These games go beyond Cubs/Sox," Danks said. "This is a city, this is our fan base. It's a different kind of game than we play the rest of the year."
The White Sox are 52-22 during interleague play since 2008, the best record in baseball during that span. Additionally, they are 17-6 over the last 23 games overall in this series and have captured seven of the last nine at Wrigley Field.
Ryan Dempster (0-2) is now without a victory since Aug. 11 against Washington. That's a span of 16 appearances. The right-hander gave up seven hits and four runs over six frames Saturday.
Alfonso Soriano and Joe Mather each hit two-run homers in the bottom of the ninth off Zach Stewart.
Alejandro De Aza singled leading off the game, stole second and scored on a Viciedo one-out base hit to center.
Viciedo and Pierzynski hit consecutive homers with two outs in the third to up the margin to 4-0. Viciedo's blast to center came just after Dunn walked, one of his four free passes on the night.
"I just didn't do a good job of executing some pitches," Dempster said. "In the third inning I walked Adam Dunn with two out and nobody on. That cost us three runs and that ultimately probably cost us the game."
Starlin Castro and Jeff Baker grounded into inning-ending double plays in the bottom of the sixth and seventh, respectively, and the White Sox tacked on three runs in the eighth. Dunn led off with a homer to right-center off James Russell. Pierzynski hit a one-out double and scored on Alexei Ramirez's single to center. Michael Bowden, the third Cubs pitcher of the inning, walked De Aza with the bases full, forcing in Alex Rios.
Stewart yielded four hits in the ninth, including left field homers to Soriano and Mather, both with two outs. Koyie Hill grounded out to end the game.
Cubs catcher Geovany Soto, who is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. The Cubs replaced Soto on the roster by recalling right-handed pitcher Randy Wells from Triple-A Iowa...Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood formally announced his retirement during a ceremony at Wrigley Field Saturday...White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, who was hit on the left side of the face by a pitch Friday, sat out Saturday's contest.
- CHICAGO: 7
May 19 10:11 PM
- Joe Mather two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jeff Baker. Koyie Hill due up.
White Sox 7, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 19 10:08 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Darwin Barney. Jeff Baker due up.
White Sox 7, Cubs 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 19 10:04 PM
- Alejandro De Aza walk scored Alex Rios with two out. Bases loaded and Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 7, Cubs 0 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 19 9:39 PM
- Alexei Ramirez single to center scored A.J. Pierzynski with one out. On the play, Alex Rios advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Eduardo Escobar due up.
White Sox 6, Cubs 0 Top 8, 1 OutMay 19 9:25 PM
- Adam Dunn lead-off Home Run (13) to right center. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 5, Cubs 0 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 19 9:18 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 4, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 19 7:58 PM
- Dayan Viciedo two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to center scored Adam Dunn. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 19 7:57 PM
- Dayan Viciedo single to center scored Alejandro De Aza with one out. On the play, Adam Dunn advanced to second. Runners on first and second and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 19 7:26 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 7:18 PM
- White Sox, Paulino agree to 1-year deal 4:21p
- ChiSox to add reliever Belisario Thu
- Report: Cubs sign P Wright Thu
- Konerko inks deal to stay on the South Side Dec 4
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Cubs name Mueller hitting coach Nov 22
- White Sox nab INF Elmore off waivers Nov 20
- Cubs officially name Renteria new manager Nov 7
- Reports: Cubs to name Renteria new manager Nov 6
- Cubs, White Sox minor leaguers suspended Nov 1
- White Sox keep Lindstrom for 2014 season Oct 31
- White Sox sign Cuba's Abreu Oct 29