Giants hang on to edge CubsJun 2, 2012 - 6:17 AM
Bumgarner (6-4), winless in his previous four starts, gave up back-to-back singles to Starlin Castro and Joe Mather to begin the ninth.
Santiago Casilla replaced the 22-year-old left-hander and surrendered a home run to Alfonso Soriano.
Bumgarner, who recorded 11 strikeouts and didn't walk a batter, was bidding for his first career complete game and shutout.
A pinch-hitting Bryan LaHair then stroked a one-out double and Casilla appeared to injure himself fielding Darwin Barney's infield chopper. Javier Lopez took over on the mound and Steve Clevenger advanced both runners with a groundout to first. But Lopez earned his first save of the season by retiring pinch-hitter David DeJesus on fly ball to center field.
Ryan Theriot collected three hits, scored twice and knocked in a run for the Giants, who have won four of their last five games.
Paul Maholm (4-4) gave up four runs on eight hits and two walks in 5 1/3 innings for Chicago, which has dropped eight straight on the road.
"I didn't bury some pitches. They did a good job going the other way with two strikes," said Maholm.
The Cubs had broken out of a 12-game skid with a three-game home sweep of San Diego earlier in the week.
San Francisco jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Gregor Blanco drew a leadoff walk and scored on a double by Theriot, who moved to third on a Melky Cabrera single before Buster Posey hit a sacrifice fly.
Theriot sparked a two-run third with a leadoff single. Cabrera followed with a triple and scored on a single by Posey.
"We're playing well right now. It's a good vibe in the clubhouse and the dugout," Posey said.
Center fielder Angel Pagan went 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak at home to 25 games, the longest such streak in Giants franchise history (since 1918)...Bumgarner, who gave up eight hits, improved to 12-2 in his last 15 starts at AT&T Park...The Cubs have lost each of Maholm's last four outings.
- CHICAGO: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Jun 2 12:55 AM
- Alfonso Soriano none-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Starlin Castro and Joe Mather. Reed Johnson due up.
Cubs 3, Giants 4 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 2 12:43 AM
- Buster Posey single to right scored Melky Cabrera with none out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Cubs 0, Giants 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 1 11:13 PM
- Melky Cabrera triple to right center scored Ryan Theriot with none out. Runner on third and Buster Posey due up.
Cubs 0, Giants 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 1 11:11 PM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to center scored Ryan Theriot with one out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Cubs 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 1 10:41 PM
- Ryan Theriot double to left scored Gregor Blanco with none out. Runner on second and Melky Cabrera due up.
Cubs 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 1 10:35 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 10:20 PM
- Cubs claim Eduardo Sanchez off waivers 3:09p
- Giants place Vogelsong, Casilla on DL 2:59p
- Strasburg, Cain square off in San Fran 10:49a
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh 10:43a
- Vogelsong breaks hand as Giants down Nats 2:51a
- Giants' Vogelsong fractures right hand 1:39a
- Nationals continue western jaunt against Giants Mon
- Nicasio sharp as Rockies blank slumping Giants Sun
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs Sun
- Series up for grabs, as Mets and Cubs battle at Wrigley Sun
- Rockies target series win versus Zito and Giants Sun
- Rockies rout Giants behind Chatwood Sun