Lee's slam propels Marlins past CubsJul 18, 2012 - 5:50 AM
It was Lee's 17th career grand slam and his first home run since joining Miami via trade with the Astros on July 4.
"Not really," Lee remarked when asked if he could explain his 17 career slams. "If you go out there and try to hit home runs, I think that you're going to fail 90 percent of the time or more."
Omar Infante added a two-run homer and drove in three, while Hanley Ramirez had a solo shot and a double for the Marlins, who were coming off of a four- game split with the NL East-leading Nationals.
Sanchez (5-6) was charged with two runs -- one earned -- on nine hits. He walked two and struck out seven.
Miami has won six straight games against the Cubs, who entered Tuesday sporting a season high-tying four-game win streak.
Travis Wood (4-4) had been victorious in his previous four decisions, but lasted just 4 2/3 frames, allowing eight runs on eight hits, including two homers.
"He just didn't come out with much command," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "He couldn't keep the ball down, everything was up."
Jeff Baker hit a solo homer in the loss and Luis Valbuena added an eighth- inning, two-run double.
The Cubs had won six straight at Wrigley Field -- their longest stretch at home since 2009 -- but they were simply outslugged by Miami on Tuesday.
In addition to his grand slam, Lee scored the game's first run, leading off the fourth with a single and crossing the plate on Austin Kearns' two-out base hit to center.
Infante capped the frame with a two-run shot to left and Lee struck the decisive blow an inning later.
Singles by Sanchez, Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio preceded the former Astro's bases-clearing blast down the left-field line. His 17 career grand slams rank second among active major league players behind the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez (23).
Wood, who hadn't lost since June 14, failed to make it out of the inning. Before departing, he allowed a double to Ramirez. Infante then greeted Rafael Dolis with an RBI single.
Baker belted his fourth homer of the season in the bottom half and added an RBI single in the eighth.
A sixth-inning error by Ramirez allowed Geovany Soto to score, but the Miami third baseman atoned with a solo shot in the seventh.
The Marlins swept the Cubs in the teams' only other meeting this season (April 17-19)...Chicago's six-game win streak at Wrigley Field was its longest since a six-game stretch from June 18-July 3, 2009.
- MIAMI: 9
Jul 17 11:12 PM
- Jeff Baker singled to center scored Luis Valbuena. Runner on first with none out and David DeJesus due up.
Marlins 9, Cubs 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 17 10:42 PM
- Luis Valbuena doubled to right center scored Geovany Soto and Steve Clevenger. Runner on second with none out and Jeff Baker due up.
Marlins 9, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 17 10:40 PM
- Hanley Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (14) to center. Austin Kearns due up.
Marlins 9, Cubs 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 17 10:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joe Mather reached first on Hanley Ramirez's fielding error scored Geovany Soto. Runner on first with two outs and Luis Valbuena due up.
Marlins 8, Cubs 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 17 10:00 PM
- Jeff Baker one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. David DeJesus due up.
Marlins 8, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 17 9:41 PM
- Omar Infante singled to center scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and John Buck due up.
Marlins 8, Cubs 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 17 9:34 PM
- Carlos Lee none-out, Grand Slam (6) to left scored Anibal Sanchez, Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio. Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 7, Cubs 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 17 9:24 PM
- John Buck struck out swinging to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Cubs 0 Mid 4Jul 17 9:05 PM
- Austin Kearns singled to center scored Carlos Lee. Runner on first with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 1, Cubs 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 17 9:01 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 8:07 PM
- Cubs' Camp lands on DL 4:26p
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins 10:35a
- Samardzija eyes another win in the Steel City 10:16a
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins 3:33a
- Snider slams Pirates past Cubs 1:46a
- Cubs activate Garza from DL Tue
- Cubs claim Eduardo Sanchez off waivers Tue
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh Tue
- Ruggiano helps Marlins down Phillies Tue
- Marlins place Diaz on DL Mon
- Phillies bring swagger to Miami Mon