Ludwick, Frazier power Reds past CubsAug 18, 2012 - 4:06 AM
Bronson Arroyo (9-7) got the win, giving up three runs on nine hit with three walks and three strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. He also doubled and scored on Zack Cozart's Tobago in the fourth.
Jay Bruce added a solo homer and Drew Stubbs had an RBI triple for the NL Central-leading Reds, who took three of four games from the Cubs last weekend.
Travis Wood (4-9) dropped his career-high sixth straight decision, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits over five innings. He did not issue a walk, struck out three, and added an RBI single.
Luis Valbuena hit a solo home run for the Cubs, who are just 3-13 in their last 16 games dating to July 31.
"We swung the bats well," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "Their pitchers made a couple nice plays to change a couple of innings around. Other than that, I was pretty happy the way we swung the bats. We just didn't get much to show for it."
The teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday before closing the set on Sunday.
Valbuena's leadoff shot put the Cubs up 1-0 in the second, but Frazier singled in the bottom half and crossed the plate courtesy of Wood's error. With two down, Ryan Hanigan slapped a grounder towards first base and the covering Wood failed to catch the toss from Anthony Rizzo, allowing Frazier to score from first.
Chicago went on top again in the fourth, which began with a base hit from Starlin Castro. Brett Jackson's one-out single put runners on the corners before Castro scored on a wild pitch. After Steve Clevenger walked, Wood singled up the middle for a short-lived, 3-1 advantage.
Ludwick led off the home half with his 23rd homer of the season. After Bruce was hit by a pitch, Frazier launched his 16th into the seats in left- center. He leads all NL rookies with 51 RBI.
Later in the frame, Arroyo doubled with a shot to the wall in left- center. Cozart followed with a line drive, Tobago to left before Stubbs ripped a triple into the corner in right, making it 6-3.
"That was a big five-run inning for us, especially down 3-1," Frazier said. "That was huge."
Bruce hit his 25th homer of the year in the fifth.
Arroyo left with runners on first and second in the seventh and Jose Arredondo induced a fly out and a groundout to escape.
Jonathan Broxton stranded a pair in the eighth and Aroldis Chapman faced the minimum in the ninth, as the Reds improved to a major league-best 25-9 since the All-Star break.
The Cubs, meanwhile, have lost eight straight road games dating to July 25.
The Reds are expected to recall pitcher Todd Redmond to start the nightcap of Saturday's doubleheader. It will mark the major league debut for Redmond ... The Reds are 22-9 since Joey Votto left the lineup on July 16 ... Chapman induced three straight groundouts in the ninth. It marked just the second time in 54 appearances that he didn't strike out a batter ... Wood hasn't recorded a win since July 6 against the Mets.
- CHICAGO: 3
Aug 17 9:59 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (25) to right. Todd Frazier due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 7 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 17 8:53 PM
- Drew Stubbs tripled to right scored Zack Cozart. Runner on third with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 17 8:38 PM
- Zack Cozart doubled to left scored Bronson Arroyo. Runner on second with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 17 8:37 PM
- Todd Frazier none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Jay Bruce. Scott Rolen due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 17 8:29 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lead-off Home Run (23) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 17 8:22 PM
- Travis Wood singled to center scored Brett Jackson. On the play, Steve Clevenger advances to third. Wood thrown out at second, center to catcher to second. Runner on third with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 17 8:18 PM
- Ryan Hanigan reached first on Travis Wood's fielding error scored Todd Frazier. Runner on first with two outs and Bronson Arroyo due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 17 7:52 PM
- Luis Valbuena lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Brett Jackson due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 17 7:35 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 7:10 PM
- Cubs activate Garza from DL 5:35p
- Cubs claim Eduardo Sanchez off waivers 3:09p
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery 10:48a
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh 10:43a
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon
- Reds' Votto claims NL Player of the Week honor Mon
- Cueto returns from DL to face Mets Mon
- Phillies stun Reds with ninth-inning comeback Sun
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs Sun
- Bailey tries to string back-to-back wins together in Philly Sun