Gordon lifts Dodgers over White Sox in extrasJun 18, 2012 - 12:02 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Dee Gordon singled home the winning run with two gone in the bottom of the 10th, as the Los Angeles Dodgers edged the Chicago White Sox, 2-1, in the rubber match of a three-game set at Chavez Ravine.
The Dodgers were held scoreless through eight innings by starter Jose Quintana, but White Sox manager Robin Ventura opted to go to the bullpen for the ninth even though his rookie lefty had thrown only 77 pitches.
The move backfired as reliever Addison Reed surrendered a game-tying sacrifice fly to Juan Rivera. Bobby Abreu scored on the play after stroking a pinch-hit single to begin the inning and reaching third on a one-out single by Elian Herrera.
In the 10th, Tony Gwynn Jr. tripled past diving left fielder Jordan Danks with one out.
"Looking back on it, it wasn't worth the risk," Danks admitted.
Abreu was intentionally walked after Matt Treanor, who was involved in a disputed play earlier Sunday, grounded out. Gordon then slapped a base hit to left off Matt Thornton (2-5), clinching a series win for the Dodgers.
Like his Chicago counterpart, starter Chris Capuano pitched superbly over eight frames for the Dodgers. The southpaw gave up one run on six hits, walked one and recorded 12 strikeouts, one shy of his career high.
Ronald Belisario (3-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings.
The game remained scoreless until the top of the sixth. Brent Lillibridge led off with a single and a fielding error by Herrera allowed him to take second. He then advanced to third on a groundout before scoring on Dayan Viciedo's two-out single to center field.
Los Angeles appeared to tie the game on Herrera's sac fly in the bottom half of the inning, but Treanor was called out on an appeal for leaving third early. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly was ejected by third base umpire Jerry Meals for arguing the play that ended the frame.
"I was frustrated with the call," Mattingly said. "The videos don't lie. [Meals] said 'I'm right 100 percent of the time.' It seems I've heard that three times this year and they were all wrong."
Herrera had three of the Dodgers' nine hits...The White Sox were 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position...Quintana limited Los Angeles to five hits, struck out six and walked none.
- CHICAGO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 17 7:06 PM
- Dee Gordon single to left scored Tony Gwynn Jr with two out to end the game.
White Sox 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 10, 2 OutsJun 17 7:06 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly to right scored Bobby Abreu with two out. On the play, Elian Herrera advances to second. Runner on second and Andre Ethier due up.
White Sox 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 17 6:43 PM
- Alex Rios flied out to right to end the inning.
White Sox 1, Dodgers 0 Mid 6Jun 17 5:42 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 4:11 PM
- Peavy tosses complete game, ChiSox edge Marlins in ninth 1:17a
- Gonzalez leads Dodgers past Cardinals 11:44p
- NL-leading Cardinals go for another win over Dodgers 10:16a
- Peavy puts perfect home record on the line vs. Marlins 9:58a
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras Sat
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers Sat
- White Sox P Danks to make first start of season Fri
- Dodgers return home to face Cards Fri
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins Fri
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox Thu
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed