White Sox outlast Royals in 14-inning marathonJul 14, 2012 - 6:05 AM
A walk to Gordon Beckham and a single by Alejandro De Aza placed runners at the corners before Youkilis lifted a fly ball to deep center off of Everett Teaford (1-3) to push across the deciding run.
Dylan Axelrod (1-2) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn the win for the first-place White Sox, who have won 12 of their last 16 games.
The teams traded runs in the 12th, with Beckham hitting an RBI double for Chicago before Alex Gordon scored Jeff Francoeur with a groundout in the bottom half.
Alcides Escobar hit a two-out, go-ahead triple in the bottom of the eighth inning for the Royals, scoring Lorenzo Cain and Gordon, but Jonathan Broxton failed to maintain the lead.
The White Sox loaded the bases in the ninth and A.J. Pierzynski followed with a game-tying single. Francoeur, who homered earlier in the contest, threw out Orlando Hudson at the plate on the play to limit the damage.
The Home Run Derby ended late Monday night, but these teams didn't get the memo.
Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Dayan Viciedo all went deep for the White Sox while Mike Moustakas and Francoeur both left their home park, the scene of this year's derby.
"I was happy with the offense," said Royals manager Ned Yost. "They kept coming after it and grinding out at-bats and scoring runs when we needed to."
Dunn and Rios staked Chicago to a three-run, first-inning lead while Viciedo belted the go-ahead shot after Kansas City battled back to claim the advantage.
Moustakas homered during a three-run second inning for the Royals and Francoeur initially put his team in top with a solo shot in the fourth. Escobar added an RBI bunt single later in that frame, making it 5-3.
Cain crossed the plate on Escobar's bunt, one of three runs the center fielder scored in his return from the disabled list. He also had an RBI single in the second inning before touching home on Gordon's base hit to left.
Royals starter Bruce Chen was tagged for six runs on nine hits over 4 2/3 innings while Jose Quintana countered with five frames, allowing five runs on eight hits.
"(Chen) struggled with his command, made some mistakes over the middle of the plate, and they took advantage of it," said Yost.
Youkilis has an eight-game RBI streak...Cain was activated from the 60-day disabled list during the All-Star break. He landed on the DL due to a pair of left leg injuries...The White Sox recalled pitcher Jhan Marinez from Triple-A Charlotte on Friday.
- CHICAGO: 9
KANSAS CITY: 8
Jul 14 1:34 AM
- Kevin Youkilis sacrifice fly to center scored Gordon Beckham with two out. Runner on first and Orlando Hudson due up.
White Sox 9, Royals 8 Top 14, 2 OutsJul 14 1:25 AM
- Alex Gordon ground out second to first scored Jeff Francoeur with two out. On the play, Lorenzo Cain advances to second. Runner on second and Alcides Escobar due up.
White Sox 8, Royals 8 Bot 12, 2 OutsJul 14 12:48 AM
- Gordon Beckham double to right scored Jordan Danks with two out. Runner on second and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 8, Royals 7 Top 12, 2 OutsJul 14 12:31 AM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to right scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second and Orlando Hudson out at home, right to catcher. Runners on first and second and Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 7, Royals 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 13 11:25 PM
- Alcides Escobar triple to right scored Lorenzo Cain and Alex Gordon with two out. Runner on third and Eric Hosmer due up.
White Sox 6, Royals 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 13 11:06 PM
- Dayan Viciedo two-out, three-run Home Run (15) to center scored Adam Dunn and A.J. Pierzynski. Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 6, Royals 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 13 9:53 PM
- Alcides Escobar bunt single to third scored Lorenzo Cain with two out. On the play, Alex Gordon advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Hosmer due up.
White Sox 3, Royals 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 13 9:41 PM
- Lorenzo Cain walked. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Gordon due up.
White Sox 3, Royals 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 13 9:38 PM
- Alex Gordon single to left scored Lorenzo Cain with two outs. Runner on first and Alcides Escobar due up.
White Sox 3, Royals 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 13 8:59 PM
- Lorenzo Cain single to right scored Salvador Perez with two outs. Runner on first and Alex Gordon due up.
White Sox 3, Royals 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 13 8:55 PM
- Jeff Francoeur flied out to center. None on with two outs and Salvador Perez due up.
White Sox 3, Royals 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 13 8:52 PM
- Alex Rios two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left center. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 3, Royals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 13 8:16 PM
- Adam Dunn one-out, two-run Home Run (26) to right scored Kevin Youkilis. Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 2, Royals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 13 8:14 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 13 8:10 PM
- Shields tries to snap skid as Royals battle Astros 11:22a
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago 10:36a
- Royals rally past Astros 3:43a
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- Sale will not pitch on Wednesday Tue
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park Tue
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals Tue
- Dunn, White Sox hand Boston's Lester first loss Tue
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros Mon
- Lester carries unblemished record into the Windy City Mon
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals Sun