Kendrick pushes Angels past ChiSox in extrasAug 5, 2012 - 5:24 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Howie Kendrick's run-scoring single in the top of the 10th inning lifted the Angels over the White Sox, 6-5, in the middle installment of a three-game series.
Matt Thornton (4-7) started on the mound for Chicago in the 10th. After retiring the first two batters, Alberto Callaspo doubled to left-center field. Kendrick followed with a base hit to right to score the go-ahead run.
Kendrick ended with two RBI for Los Angeles, which snapped a three-game skid. Albert Pujols hit a solo homer and knocked in two runs.
Ervin Santana got the start for the Angels and gave up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits over six innings. Kevin Jepsen (2-1) pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up the win.
Kevin Youkilis hit a pair of homers for the White Sox, who had a three-game winning streak stopped. A.J. Pierzynski added a solo homer.
Chicago starter Gavin Floyd allowed five runs on eight hits over 6 1/3 innings.
Floyd struggled with his command in the first inning, which led to the Angels scoring three runs. Mike Trout was hit by a pitch and Maicer Izturis followed with a ground-rule double to left. Pujols hit an RBI single to left before stealing second. Mark Trumbo plated another run when he hit a grounder to shortstop Alexei Ramirez. Pujols got caught between second and third on the play and was tagged out. Kendrys Morales, Callaspo and Kendrick worked three consecutive walks to force in a run. Floyd struck out the next two batters to end his 41-pitch inning.
Youkilis' solo homer to left in the bottom half cut the gap to 3-1.
Los Angeles got the run back in the second. Trout led off with a single, moved to second on Izturis' groundout, advanced to third when Pujols flied out and scored on a wild pitch.
Trout took away a homer from Gordon Beckham by reaching over the wall in left- center field to end the second.
"When you can take a homer away, every time I get a chance I'm going to do it," said Trout, who also robbed Baltimore's J.J. Hardy of a home run by leaping well over the right-center fence at Camden Yards on June 27.
"He has everything," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said of Trout. "He's leading off, with power, has speed, is good in the outfield."
Chicago stayed close by scoring a run of its own in the third. Alejandro De Aza doubled and Youkilis was hit by a pitch. De Aza was caught between second and third when Vernon Wells made a nice sliding catch in foul territory. Wells' throw went to third baseman Callaspo, whose throw to second was way off the mark. With runners on the corners, Paul Konerko hit a grounder to third. De Aza slid under the tag at home to make it 4-2.
Pierzynski's homer to right in the sixth made it a one-run game, but Pujols responded with a solo shot to left in the seventh to make it 5-3.
Youkilis tied the game in the bottom half with one swing of the bat. LaTroy Hawkins gave up a single to De Aza, who scored on Youkilis' blast to left.
The season series is tied, 2-2...Ernesto Frieri pitched a perfect 10th to pick up his 13th save of the season...The White Sox went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 4 10:57 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick thrown out at second to end the inning.
Angels 6, White Sox 5 Mid 10Aug 4 10:53 PM
- Adam Dunn struck out looking. None on with one out and Paul Konerko due up.
Angels 5, White Sox 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 4 10:03 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run (24) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 5, White Sox 3 Top 7, 1 OutAug 4 9:45 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski lead-off Home Run (20) to right. Dayan Viciedo due up.
Angels 4, White Sox 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 4 9:38 PM
- Alex Rios struck out looking. Runners on first and second with two outs and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Angels 4, White Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 4 8:46 PM
- Mike Trout scored on a Gavin Floyd wild pitch with two out. None on and Mark Trumbo at the plate.
Angels 4, White Sox 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 4 8:13 PM
- Kevin Youkilis one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Adam Dunn due up.
Angels 3, White Sox 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 4 7:58 PM
- Howie Kendrick walk scored Mark Trumbo with one out. Bases loaded and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 3, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 4 7:48 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third to short to third scoring Maicer Izturis with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols out at third. Runner on second with Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 4 7:44 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Mike Trout with none out. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to third. Runners on first and third with Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 4 7:42 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 7:31 PM
- Peavy puts perfect home record on the line vs. Marlins 9:58a
- Angels aim to stay hot against slumping Royals 7:36a
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras 3:10a
- Vargas shuts down Royals 12:11a
- White Sox P Danks to make first start of season Fri
- Odd Man Rush: Time for the Angels to make their run Fri
- Angels shoot for sixth straight win in Kansas City Fri
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins Fri
- Angels outlast Royals Fri
- Angels hope to remain hot in Kansas City Thu
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox Thu
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners Thu