Reds top Tigers in extrasJun 9, 2012 - 5:51 AM
Cairo opened the inning with a triple before Valdez pushed one up the first- base line. Prince Fielder's throw was late as Cairo slid around the tag at home to seal the win.
"That was a great execution. That guy knows how to play baseball," Reds manager Dusty Baker said about Valdez.
Delmon Young cracked a solo homer in the eighth to give Detroit a 5-4 lead, but Todd Frazier's pinch-hit double in the bottom half tied the game.
Frazier, who was a late scratch from the starting lineup with back spasms, ripped a two-bagger into the left-field corner to score Cairo, who singled to open the frame.
Sam LeCure (2-1) tossed two perfect innings to get the win. Mat Latos started the game for the Reds and surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings.
Brennan Boesch went 3-for-4 with a solo homer and Miguel Cabrera drove in a pair for Detroit, which lost for the fourth time in five tries.
Phil Coke (1-2) was pegged with the loss after giving up the winning run. Rick Porcello started for the Tigers, giving up four runs on nine hits in five innings.
Trailing 4-3 in the seventh, Boesch delivered for Detroit to knot it up at 4-4. Ramon Santiago led off with a single, stole second and moved to third when Ryan Hanigan's throw bounced into the outfield. Boesch then singled up the middle to score Santiago.
Earlier, the Reds took a 1-0 lead in the first after Zack Cozart singled, moved to second on Chris Heisey's fly out, went to third on Joey Votto's single and scored when Brandon Phillips hit a slow grounder down the third base line. Porcello attempted to field the ball and throw it home as he fell to the ground but the throw was off target and Cozart scored easily.
Cincinnati went up 4-0 in the third when Votto crushed a three-run homer. Cozart and Heisey hit back-to-back singles before Votto clobbered his 10th homer of the season.
"He made a bad pitch to Votto. In that situation your hoping to get the sinker for a ground ball and he threw him a changeup that he hit for a home run," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said about Porcello.
The Tigers finally got on the board in the fourth when Boesch launched a leadoff homer to right.
Detroit tacked on two more in the sixth to make it 4-3. Matt Young hit a ground-rule double, Quintin Berry was hit by pitch and Boesch singled to load the bases. Cabrera followed with a single to plate Young and Berry.
The Reds had a season-high 15 hits en route to their 15th come-from-behind win of the year...Votto extended his hitting streak to a career-high 14 games...Fielder had a 14-game hitting streak snapped...The Tigers played their first game at Great American Ball Park.
- DETROIT: 5
Jun 8 10:36 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Todd Frazier doubled to left scored Miguel Cairo. Runner on second with one out and Zack Cozart due up.
Tigers 5, Reds 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 8 9:53 PM
- Duane Below grounded out first to pitcher. None on with two outs and Gerald Laird due up.
Tigers 5, Reds 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 8 9:41 PM
- Brennan Boesch singled to center scored Ramon Santiago. Runner on first with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 4, Reds 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 8 9:26 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to left scored Matt Young and Quintin Berry. On the play, Brennan Boesch advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 3, Reds 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 8 8:45 PM
- Brennan Boesch lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Reds 4 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 8 8:11 PM
- Joey Votto none-out, three-run Home Run (10) to center scored Zack Cozart and Chris Heisey. Brandon Phillips due up.
Tigers 0, Reds 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 8 7:57 PM
- Brandon Phillips infield single to pitcher scored Zack Cozart. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third on Rick Porcello's error. Runners on first and third with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Tigers 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 8 7:26 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 7:12 PM
- Arroyo shines as Reds rout Phillies 7:38p
- Phils send red-hot Kendrick to hill to face Reds 9:31a
- Grimm hopes to turn things around versus Tigers 9:28a
- Porcello, Tigers slip past Rangers 1:41a
- Phils end Reds' six-game winning streak Fri
- Cingrani, Lee square off in Philly Fri
- Rangers, Tigers resume series in Arlington Fri
- Reds nip Marlins in extras Fri
- Rangers pound Verlander, Tigers Fri
- Verlander, Darvish clash in battle of aces Thu
- Latos draws the start for Reds against Marlins Thu
- Choo hits 2 HRs, carries Reds over Marlins Thu