Reds keep Dodgers reelingJul 3, 2012 - 6:07 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Homer Bailey threw eight strong innings, and Devin Mesoraco and Todd Frazier each knocked in three runs in Cincinnati's 8-2 victory over the Dodgers.
Mesoraco hit the go-ahead two-run double in the sixth inning and the Reds scored eight times over the last four frames. Jay Bruce made a running catch to take away a potential double from Luis Cruz to cap the seventh inning to keep the NL Central leaders ahead.
Bailey (6-6) limited LA to five hits and two runs while fanning seven. The right-hander was lifted after throwing 115 pitches, 78 for strikes.
"I was able to stay loose tonight," Bailey said. "My fastball and curveball were working early and then things slowly came together."
The Reds played without first baseman Joey Votto (inflammation in left knee) for a second straight contest and then lost shortstop Zack Cozart in the opener of this three-game series when he was hit by a pitch on the helmet from Chad Billingsley in the fifth inning. Cozart suffered a mild concussion and will be evaluated Tuesday.
Billingsley (4-8) had eight strikeouts, but gave up eight hits and three runs over six innings to lose his fourth straight start.
"I had good fastball command early. I tried to throw a two-seamer into Zack and it got away from me. I wasn't rattled. They were just able to put some hits together," Billingsley said.
Jerry Hairston Jr. homered for the Dodgers, who lost for the eighth time in their last nine games.
Brandon Phillips doubled with one out in the sixth. Bruce and Frazier had consecutive singles to get the Reds within a run. With two outs, Mesoraco doubled down the left field line for a 3-2 lead.
Pinch-runner Tony Gwynn was on second base with two outs in the seventh when Cruz hit a ball destined for the right field corner, but Bruce raced to the spot and stretch out his glove to make the grab.
In the eighth, Frazier hit a ball to the right field corner. The ball caromed off the leg of a sliding Elian Herrera, with Bruce scoring on the play. Frazier scored on a Mesoraco ground single to left later in the inning.
The Reds added three runs in the ninth, including RBI singles from Frazier and Miguel Cairo.
Hairston homered to left in the first and it became 2-0 in the next frame when James Loney scored on a sacrifice fly from Cruz. The inning could have been worse for the Reds had Juan Uribe not been tagged out at second after over running the base on a single from Scott Van Slyke.
With two outs in the fifth, Billingsley's 89 mph fastball caromed off the top portion of Cozart's helmet. Cozart remained on the ground for a brief moment until medical personnel attended to him. Cozart walked off the field under his own power and was pinch-run for by Wilson Valdez.
"It was one of those games," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Chad was looking good. After hitting Zack, he didn't seem the same. It's always discouraging when you lose."
The Reds have won four straight and eight of the last 11 meetings...In a series of roster moves prior to the game, the Dodgers s selected the contract of infielder Luis Cruz from Triple-A Albuquerque, optioned pitcher Shawn Tolleson to Albuquerque, and transferred pitcher Ted Lilly to the 60-day disabled list...Uribe left the game after the fifth inning due to a sprained right ankle...The Dodgers hadn't hit a homer in their previous nine games.
- CINCINNATI: 8
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 3 1:18 AM
- Miguel Cairo singled to right scored Jay Bruce. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 8, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 3 1:04 AM
- Chris Heisey grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Drew Stubbs. Todd Frazier out at second, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 7, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 3 1:03 AM
- Todd Frazier singled to center scored Wilson Valdez. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second and Drew Stubbs advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 6, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 3 1:03 AM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to left scored Todd Frazier. Runner on first with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 5, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 3 12:39 AM
- Todd Frazier tripled to right scored Jay Bruce. Runner on third with none out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 4, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 3 12:29 AM
- Devin Mesoraco doubled to left scored Todd Frazier and Miguel Cairo. Runner on second with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 3, Dodgers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 2 11:52 PM
- Todd Frazier singled to left scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 2 11:44 PM
- Luis Cruz sacrifice fly to center scored James Loney. Runner on first with two outs and Chad Billingsley due up.
Reds 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 2 10:43 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Juan Rivera due up.
Reds 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 2 10:26 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 10:11 PM
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge Wed
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Reds blank Mets Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers Mon
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon