Giants squeeze by RockiesMay 15, 2012 - 6:58 AM
Gregor Blanco finished 3-for-4 with a pair of runs scored and a solo homer and Buster Posey added an RBI single among his two hits for the Giants, who have won three straight games.
"It's great to see the club playing a lot better here the last three days," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Sergio Romo (2-0) earned the win after recording the final out in the eighth and Santiago Casilla allowed a run in the ninth, but recovered to secure his eighth save of the year.
Wilin Rosario slugged a solo homer run and Marco Scutaro plated the other run on an error by Giants third baseman Joaquin Arias for Colorado, which has lost four in a row.
Rex Brothers (1-2) was tagged with the loss after allowing Blanco to reach with an infield single in the eighth before scoring the go-ahead run.
With the game tied at one, the Giants took the lead for good in the eighth. Blanco beat out an infield single to start the inning and was able to get to third when Arias dropped a bunt down the first base line and reached on a throwing error by Rosario.
After Melky Cabrera flied out to left, Posey picked up his teammate by stroking a single up the middle to bring home Blanco and give the Giants a 2-1 lead. Following a flyout by Angel Pagan, Pill served a single through the hole and into left to score Arias.
In the ninth, Casilla allowed a one-out single to Jonathan Herrera and walked pinch-hitter Jason Giambi. Scutaro then sent a hard ground ball to third that squeezed through the legs of Arias and allowed Herrera to score. Casilla bounced back and fanned Dexter Fowler before inducing the game-ending groundout from Chris Nelson with the bases loaded.
"You can't be disappointed with this effort. You're disappointed with the outcome because we played a good ball game," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Earlier, the Rockies broke a scoreless tie in the fourth when Rosario led off the inning by blasting a slider from Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong over the wall in left field for his fifth longball of the season and a 1-0 lead.
San Francisco threatened in the fifth when Pill beat out an infield single with one down and Brandon Crawford slapped a base hit into right field two batters later to put runners on first and second with two down. But Rockies starter Christian Friedrich got Vogelsong swinging to end the inning.
The Giants evened the game at one in the sixth when Blanco led off the frame by sending a fastball from Friedrich into the right-field bleachers for just his third career home run.
San Francisco kicked off a seven-game, three-team homestand on Monday. The Giants will also face St. Louis and Oakland during their stay at AT&T Park...Monday marked the 100th consecutive home sellout for the Giants...Cabrera (0-for-4) had his 11-game hitting streak snapped...San Francisco has won 10 of its last 12 home games against Colorado...Vogelsong gave up one run on three hits and five walks while fanning three in seven innings...Friedrich allowed one run on six hits and a walk while striking out 10 over seven frames.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 15 1:25 AM
- Marco Scutaro reached second on Joaquin Arias' fielding error scored Jonathan Herrera. On the play, Alex White advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 15 1:22 AM
- Brett Pill singled to left scored Joaquin Arias. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Charles Culberson due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 15 1:06 AM
- Buster Posey singled to center scored Gregor Blanco. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 15 1:00 AM
- Melky Cabrera struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 15 12:08 AM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 14 11:18 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 10:17 PM
- Blue Jays eye sweep of visiting Rockies 2:15p
- Padres try to rebound, aim for series win over Giants 2:10p
- Perez lifts Giants past Padres 3:53a
- Blue Jays use long ball to down Rockies 2:52a
- Rockies deal OF Young to Mets 11:56p
- Giants' Cain gets nod in matchup with Padres Tue
- Jays shoot for seventh straight victory and series win over Rockies Tue
- Padres outlast Giants in 13 innings Tue
- Izturis helps Blue Jays overcome Rockies Tue
- Rockies' Gonzalez named NL Player of the Week Mon
- Padres shoot for seventh straight win in San Francisco Mon
- Johnson hopes to get off the schneid against Rockies Mon