Huge 10th inning lifts Rockies over TigersJun 16, 2012 - 5:23 AM
Chris Nelson drove in three runs on a triple and a home run for the Rockies, who snapped an eight-game losing streak with the win.
Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer added back-to-back home runs in the 10th to cap off the Rockies' 10th-inning scoring barrage.
Jose Valverde (3-2) took the loss after allowing six runs -- two earned -- in the 10th inning on three hits and two walks.
"[Valverde] was our best option, and that's what we used," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said about bringing in his closer.
Prince Fielder picked up two hits and knocked in a run for Detroit, which had won four of its previous five games.
Cuddyer led off the 10th with a seeing-eye single through the right side. Eric Young Jr. then tried to sacrifice him to second. Valverde hesitated and threw high to first base and Fielder was unable to make the grab. Valverde then intentionally walked Todd Helton and Jordan Pacheco grounded into a fielder's choice at the plate. But Rosario hit a chopper just over the head of shortstop Jhonny Peralta to score two and break the tie.
After Dexter Fowler and Marco Scutaro delivered a sacrifice fly and RBI single, respectively, to add to the lead, Gonzalez broke the game open with a three-run shot. Cuddyer then followed with a homer to left to cap the scoring.
"Our offense, up and down the lineup, made a contribution offensively," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "You have to laud the effort."
Colorado started the scoring with two runs in the third. After Rosario led off with a base hit, Nelson tripled to the right-center field gap to score him. Nelson then came around to score when Fowler laced a double down the left- field line to give the Rockies a 2-0 lead.
Detroit countered with three runs in the bottom of the third. Bryan Holaday legged out a double to start the inning. Austin Jackson knocked him home with double to the left-field corner, then scored when Miguel Cabrera lined a double past Pacheco at third. Fielder singled up the middle to score Cabrera and give Detroit the lead.
The Rockies regained the lead on Nelson's opposite-field, two-run home run that just cleared the right-field fence.
The Tigers tied the game at four in the sixth inning when a Brennan Boesch groundout scored Holaday.
The Rockies' bullpen pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings and only allowed one hit to keep the game tied and close out the win. Matt Belisle (3-2) earned the win after tossing two scoreless frames.
Both starting pitchers struggled. Colorado's Casey Crosby allowed four runs in 3 2/3 innings and Jeff Francis gave up four runs in 5 1/3 innings. Both received a no-decision.
The Rockies went 4-for-8 with runners in scoring position...Fielder is hitting .374 (43-for-115) over his last 30 games...Cabrera has knocked in 30 runs in his last 34 games...Colorado is 14-8 all-time against the Tigers...The Rockies won their first interleague game in 10 tries.
- COLORADO: 12
Jun 15 11:12 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Eric Young Jr. due up.
Rockies 12, Tigers 4 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 15 11:00 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez two-out, three-run Home Run (17) to right center scored Chris Nelson and Marco Scutaro. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 11, Tigers 4 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 15 10:58 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to left scored Eric Young Jr. and Todd Helton with one out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 6, Tigers 4 Top 10, 1 OutJun 15 10:46 PM
- Brennan Boesch ground out first to pitcher scored Bryan Holaday with two out. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to third. Runner on third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Rockies 4, Tigers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 15 9:21 PM
- Chris Nelson two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Jordan Pacheco. Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 4, Tigers 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 15 8:16 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Delmon Young due up.
Rockies 2, Tigers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 15 8:05 PM
- Miguel Cabrera double to left scored Austin Jackson with one out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Rockies 2, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 15 8:01 PM
- Brennan Boesch flied out to right. Runner on second with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Rockies 2, Tigers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 15 7:59 PM
- Dexter Fowler double to left scored Chris Nelson with none out. Runner on second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Rockies 2, Tigers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 15 7:41 PM
- Chris Nelson triple to center scored Wilin Rosario with none out. Runner on third and Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 1, Tigers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 15 7:40 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 7:07 PM
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field 10:44a
- Sizzling Indians open quick set versus Tigers 10:42a
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies 1:26a
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon
- Murphy, Rangers outslug Tigers Mon
- Nicasio sharp as Rockies blank slumping Giants Sun
- Fister hopes for better results versus Rangers Sun
- Rockies target series win versus Zito and Giants Sun
- Rockies rout Giants behind Chatwood Sun
- Andrus stars as Rangers down Tigers Sat
- Yankees pick up Brignac from Colorado Sat
- Lincecum shoots for consecutive wins at Coors Sat