Rockies cool off RangersJun 24, 2012 - 5:28 AM
Wil Nieves hit a two-run homer while Dexter Fowler contributed a solo homer among his three hits and two runs scored for the Rockies, who had won just twice in their last 10 games coming in.
"It's been a frustrating month to say the least (but) we came out and swung the bats well today," said Fowler. "It's encouraging going into the rest of the month and July."
Rex Brothers (3-2) tossed two innings of two-hit, scoreless relief for Josh Outman, who exited after giving up eight hits and five runs over 4 2/3 frames.
Nelson Cruz finished with three hits -- including a three-run homer and solos hot -- driving in four for the Rangers, whose seven-game win streak came to an end.
Lewis (6-6) was pulled after four innings, charged with 12 hits and eight runs -- seven earned -- with six strikeouts.
"I think the more frustrating thing is making good pitches and the players putting them in play," said Lewis. "That's kind of what happened today. And they took advantage of mistakes."
Texas nearly erased a 10-run deficit, closing within 11-7 in the bottom of the fifth.
Brandon Snyder led off with a single and Elvis Andrus walked two batters later. After Josh Hamilton struck out, Beltre's single scored Snyder and Michael Young added another RBI hit which chased Outman.
Adam Ottavino entered, but Cruz greeted him with a three-run homer which cut the hosts' deficit to 11-6. Mike Napoli doubled and Yorvit Torrealba singled him home before pinch-hitter David Murphy lined out.
Brothers followed with two successive scoreless frames. Matt Belisle and Rafael Betancourt turned in one each to keep it a four-run margin.
Jason Giambi singled home Jonathan Herrera to get the Rox on the board in the first, then Colorado put up four runs in the third as a Colvin single plus Hamilton throwing error plated two as did Nelson's base hit.
The lead grew to 8-0 in the fourth as Herrera doubled in Fowler, who began the frame with a single, and Cuddyer later scored two on a two-out double.
Cruz answered with a solo homer in the home half, but the Rockies tacked on three more in the top of the fifth as Nieves homered to left center after Nelson hit a leadoff double and Fowler followed with his blast to right center.
Colorado has beaten Texas three out of the last four meetings since June of 2006, upped its record over the Rangers to 11-9 overall since interleague play began, and 4-6 in Arlington...Saturday marked the Rockies' first win in 11 tries against AL West competition this season.
- COLORADO: 11
Jun 23 6:34 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba singled to center scoring Mike Napoli. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Snyder due up.
Rockies 11, Rangers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 23 5:15 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (11) to center scored Adrian Beltre and Michael Young. Mike Napoli due up.
Rockies 11, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 23 5:12 PM
- Michael Young singled to right scoring Elvis Andrus. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rockies 11, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 23 5:09 PM
- Jonathan Herrera grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 11, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 23 4:51 PM
- Wil Nieves none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Chris Nelson. Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 10, Rangers 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 23 4:49 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Mike Napoli due up.
Rockies 8, Rangers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 4:39 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to right scoring Jonathan Herrera and Jordan Pacheco. Runner on second with two outs and Tyler Colvin due up.
Rockies 8, Rangers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 23 4:30 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to right. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 6, Rangers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 23 4:22 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to center scoring Jason Giambi and Tyler Colvin. Runner on first with two outs and Wil Nieves due up.
Rockies 5, Rangers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 23 4:06 PM
- Tyler Colvin singled to left scoring Jordan Pacheco and Carlos Gonzalez. On the play, Colvin advances to second on Josh Hamilton's throwing error. On the play, Jason Giambi advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 3, Rangers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 23 4:05 PM
- Jason Giambi singled to right scoring Jonathan Herrera. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 23 3:19 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 3:08 PM
- Cuddyer productive in return, leads Rox over Giants 2:52a
- Berkman and Baker blast Rangers over Mariners 2:13a
- Rockies activate Cuddyer 7:01p
- Mariners head home to face AL West-leading Rangers 10:29a
- Rockies, Giants try to separate themselves atop the NL West 10:28a
- Rangers release P Lowe Thu
- First-inning burst helps Wolf, Rangers down A's Wed
- Rockies send Rutledge to Triple-A Wed
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Rangers call up Wolf Wed
- A's shoot for sweep of rival Rangers Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed