Pirates power past RockiesJul 19, 2012 - 12:55 AM
Pedro Alvarez, Garrett Jones and Rod Barajas also homered for the Bucs, who have won nine of their last 13 games.
James McDonald (10-3), who had a 2.37 earned run average heading into the All- Star break, struggled through his second straight start after the break despite picking up the win. The right-hander surrendered six runs on nine hits and four walks in five innings. McDonald allowed five runs -- four earned -- in 4 2/3 innings in his first start of the second half on Friday against the Brewers.
Rockies starter Jeremy Guthrie was let off the hook after another rough start at Coors Field. Guthrie gave up six runs -- four earned -- on six hits and a walk in 2 2/3 innings. Guthrie is now 1-5 with a 9.61 ERA at home this season.
"Frustration, disgust, embarrassment that I can't do what I feel like I'm capable of doing," Guthrie said. "If I throw a pitch in a certain spot, it's been hit. If I've thrown what I think is the right pitch, it's usually been the wrong pitch. When I think I've thrown something in the right location, it's typically been the wrong location."
Matt Reynolds (3-1) gave up three runs on homers by McGehee and Barajas in 1 2/3 innings to take the loss.
Andrew Brown picked up three hits and knocked in a pair of runs in his first major league start for the Rockies, who have lost four of their last five.
After falling behind 5-1, the Pirates stormed back with a five-run third to take the lead. McDonald started the inning with a single and Andrew McCutchen worked a two-out walk before Jones crushed a three-run home run to right-center field.
The Pirates then loaded the bases on an error, a single and a hit batter before Clint Barmes dropped a go-ahead base hit into right field.
"We went out there and still had quality at-bats and fought back and had a couple big hits that put us right back in it," Barmes said. "It's happened many times here. I don't think it was too surprising for anyone here."
Brown tied the game in the fourth inning with a base hit, but Pittsburgh struck for three more in the fifth to take the lead for good. McGehee lofted a two-run homer to right that just cleared the fence and, two batters later, Barajas crushed a solo shot to left.
Brad Lincoln, Jason Grilli, Tony Watson and Joel Hanrahan combined to toss four scoreless innings on relief to hold the lead. Hanrahan retired the Rockies in order in the ninth to earn his 26th save of the season.
The Rockies jumped out to a 3-0 lead when Dexter Fowler hit a leadoff home run and Carlos Gonzalez hit a two-run shot in the first inning.
After Alvarez cut the deficit to two with a solo blast, the Rockies tacked on two more runs without hitting the ball out of the infield. Marco Scutaro produced an RBI groundout and Brown legged out an infield RBI single.
Neil Walker went 0-for-4 and saw his 17-game hitting streak come to an end...Guthrie allowed two home runs and has now allowed a National League- leading 21 this season...McDonald has won five straight decisions...The Pirates lead the majors with 85 runs scored this month. They also led the majors in scoring in June when they scored 146 runs...The Pirates won their third straight series at Coors Field...Jones has hit safely in nine of his 11 career games at Coors Field. He has hit .405 (17-for-42) with four homers and 13 RBI...The Pirates have homered in nine straight games...McDonald has given up six home runs in his last five starts after allowing four in his first 14.
- PITTSBURGH: 9
Jul 18 6:23 PM
- Rod Barajas one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Clint Barmes is due up.
Pirates 9, Rockies 6 Top 5, 1 OutJul 18 4:59 PM
- Casey McGehee none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Garrett Jones. Pedro Alvarez is due up.
Pirates 8, Rockies 6 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 18 4:56 PM
- Andrew Brown singled to left scoring Marco Scutaro. Runner on first with two outs and Tyler Colvin due up.
Pirates 6, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 18 4:45 PM
- Clint Barmes singled to center scoring Casey McGehee and Pedro Alvarez. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and James McDonald due up.
Pirates 6, Rockies 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 18 4:16 PM
- Garrett Jones two-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right-center scored James McDonald and Andrew McCutchen. Casey McGehee is due up.
Pirates 4, Rockies 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 18 4:09 PM
- Tyler Colvin flied out to left to end the inning.
Pirates 1, Rockies 5 End 2Jul 18 3:57 PM
- Marco Scutaro's groundout from short to first scored Jordan Pacheco. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to second and Josh Rutledge advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Pirates 1, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 18 3:52 PM
- Pedro Alvarez one-out, solo Home Run (19) to left. Rod Barajas is due up.
Pirates 1, Rockies 3 Top 2, 1 OutJul 18 3:39 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right-center scored Marco Scutaro. Andrew Brown is due up.
Pirates 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 18 3:28 PM
- Dexter Fowler lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Marco Scutaro is due up.
Pirates 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 18 3:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 3:11 PM
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's 5:25p
- Report: Rockies, Morneau agree to two-year deal Dec 4
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Dec 3
- Pirates pick up Stewart from Yankees Dec 2
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25
- Rockies to add Hawkins to the bullpen Nov 19
- Pirates name Branson hitting coach Nov 18
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14
- Rounding Third: Cabrera eyes second straight AL MVP Award Nov 14
- Francona, Hurdle named managers of the year Nov 12
- Hurdle named NL Manager of the Year Nov 12