Cain snaps funk in win over RockiesAug 12, 2012 - 2:27 AM
Cain tossed 7 1/3 innings of two-run ball and visited the win column for the first time in nearly a month as San Francisco downed the Colorado Rockies, 9-3, in the middle test of a three-game set.
Cain (11-5), who had been 2-3 with a 4.40 ERA coming in since his perfect game, fanned six, scattered seven hits and walked one. It was his first win since defeating the Houston Astros on July 15.
"This was the Matt Cain we know," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Buster Posey smacked two hits, including a two-run homer, and Angel Pagan had a two-run triple for Giants, who won for just the second time at home in their last 10 attempts.
"We're going to have to pick it up here at home," Bochy said.
Drew Pomeranz (1-7) allowed four runs on six hits with four strikeouts over four frames for Colorado, which had won three of its last four.
"I just made some bad pitches and they put some good swings on my bad pitches," Pomeranz said.
The Giants jumped out to a quick five-run lead after plating a pair in the second and third innings and then adding another run in the fifth.
Three of San Francisco's first four batters in the second, Posey, Brett Pill and Ryan Theriot, singled to load the bases with one out. Joaquin Arias brought Hunter Pence, who reached on a fielder's choice, home with a sacrifice fly and Cain's base hit to center scored Pill to give the Giants a 2-0 advantage.
In the third, Melky Cabrera reached with a one-out bunt single and Posey hammered a two-run homer into the front row of seats in left-center, extending the margin to 4-0.
Pence ripped an opposite-field, RBI double in the fifth, but the Rockies finally got on the scoreboard in the sixth on Josh Rutledge's RBI groundout, making it a 5-1 game.
Pagan laced a two-run triple into the gap in right-center and Marco Scutaro lined a run-scoring base hit to left in a three-run home sixth, pushing the edge to 8-1.
DJ LeMahieu registered his first career long ball with a leadoff shot in the visitor's eighth, but Arias whacked a triple off the bricks in right-center and later scored on a wild pitch to make it 9-2 in the home half.
Chris Nelson's RBI single in the ninth concluded the scoring.
Cain improved to 4-0 over his past five starts against the Rockies...Posey's homer was his 19th of the season...The Giants were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position, while Colorado finished 2-for-9.
- COLORADO: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 9
Aug 11 6:51 PM
- Jaquin Arias scored on a Rex Brothers wild pitch with none out. None on and Brandon Belt at the plate.
Rockies 2, Giants 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 11 6:30 PM
- DJ LeMahieu lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 8 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 11 6:12 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on first and Melky Cabrera due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 8 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 11 5:53 PM
- Angel Pagan triple to center scored Ryan Theriot and Joaquin Arias with one out. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 7 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 11 5:53 PM
- Josh Rutledge grounded into a fielder's choice to third scoring DJ LeMahieu with one out. On the play, Eric Young Jr. advances to second, Chris Nelson out at third. Runners on first and second and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 11 5:38 PM
- Hunter Pence double to right scored Marco Scutaro with two outs. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brett Pill due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 11 5:27 PM
- Buster Posey one-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left center scored Melky Cabrera. Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 11 4:54 PM
- Matt Cain single to center scored Brett Pill with two outs. On the play, Ryan Theriot advances to second. Runners on first and second and Angel Pagan due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 11 4:40 PM
- Joaquin Arias sacrifice fly to center scored Hunter Pence with two outs. On the play, Brett Pill advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Cain due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 11 4:38 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 4:05 PM
- Rockies activate Cuddyer 7:01p
- Rockies, Giants try to separate themselves atop the NL West 10:28a
- Nats slip by Giants in 10 Wed
- Rockies send Rutledge to Triple-A Wed
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Bumgarner, Giants eye sweep of Nationals Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Sandoval's homer in the 10th lifts Giants over Nats Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Giants place Vogelsong, Casilla on DL Tue
- Strasburg, Cain square off in San Fran Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue