Rockies earn split with MarlinsAug 20, 2012 - 1:57 AM
Dexter Fowler picked up a pair of hits and drove in a run for the Rockies, who snapped a two-game skid.
Drew Pomeranz gave up two runs -- one earned -- to register a no-decision before Adam Ottavino (5-1) tossed three scoreless frames in relief.
"We had to pitch well from the fifth inning on and we did," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
Josh Johnson (7-10), who had only allowed four runs in 30 2/3 career innings against the Rockies, surrendered three runs on seven hits and four walks to take the loss.
For the first time in his career, Giancarlo Stanton went without a home run at Coors Field, and he finished 0-for-2 with a pair of intentional walks.
"They had a smart strategy," Miami manager Ozzie Guillen said. "A couple of times they didn't pitch to him and did a great job on him."
Trailing by a pair in the fourth, the Rockies made a swift comeback. Josh Rutledge delivered a leadoff single and scored on Fowler's double. With two outs, Pacheco smoked a first-pitch fastball into the left-field seats to put the Rockies up, 3-2.
The Marlins squandered a golden opportunity to tie the game in the fifth inning. After Justin Ruggiano delivered a leadoff single, Jose Reyes lofted a pop up to shallow left field. Andrew Brown seemed to make the catch, but the ball dislodged from his glove when he collided with Josh Rutledge, allowing the runners to move to second and third with no outs.
After Carlos Lee grounded out to first base, Ottavino intentionally walked Stanton to load the bases. He proceeded to strike out Donnie Murphy and get John Buck to ground out to end the threat.
The Rockies loaded the bases in the eighth, but were unable to get an insurance run. Pinch-hitter Chris Nelson hit a soft line drive to short stop. Reyes knocked it down, threw to third for the force and Greg Dobbs threw out Tyler Colvin at the plate.
After Matt Belisle tossed a clean eighth inning, Rafael Betancourt worked past a a pair of base hits to record his 23rd save of the season.
The Marlins went ahead with a first-inning run. Emilio Bonifacio, in his first game back from a sprained left thumb, reached on Rutledge's throwing error to start the frame. He moved to third on Ruggiano's double and scored on Lee's ground out.
John Buck slammed a 1-0 fastball over the center-field fence to give the Marlins a two-run lead.
The Rockies placed outfielder Michael Cuddyer on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain prior to the game and recalled Brown from Triple-A Colorado Springs ... The Marlins optioned outfielder Scott Cousins to Triple-A New Orleans, designated infielder Gil Velazquez for assignment and reinstated Bonifacio and Murphy from the disabled list after Saturday's game ... Fowler went 2-for-2 and has six multi-hit games in his last seven games ... The Marlins went 0-for-7 and the Rockies went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and both teams stranded nine.
- MIAMI: 2
Aug 19 6:05 PM
- Jordan Pacheco two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Dexter Fowler. Charlie Blackmon due up.
Marlins 2, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 19 4:25 PM
- Dexter Fowler doubled to left scoring Josh Rutledge with none out. Runner on second and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Marlins 2, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 19 4:19 PM
- John Buck lead-off Home Run (9) to center. Donovan Solano due up.
Marlins 2, Rockies 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 19 4:10 PM
- Carlos Lee grounded out third to first scoring Emilio Bonifacio with two out. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to third. Runner on third and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 19 3:18 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 3:12 PM
- Rockies activate Cuddyer 7:01p
- Rockies, Giants try to separate themselves atop the NL West 10:28a
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins 10:23a
- Rockies send Rutledge to Triple-A Wed
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue