Giants sweep Rockies, inch closer to NL West titleSep 21, 2012 - 4:51 AM
After snapping a 161 at-bat homerless streak on Wednesday, Sandoval clubbed two more on Thursday to help San Francisco reduce its magic number to clinch the NL West title to three.
Regardless, until they're officially division champs, the Giants aren't getting ahead of themselves.
"You wouldn't know it from the vibe here in the clubhouse, we're fighting everyday like we're one game up," said Thursday's starter Barry Zito. "It's something that is really memorable about this team. We've fought so hard, especially since we lost Melky (Cabrera)."
The Rockies collected 10 hits off Zito (13-8), but could only manage two runs off the lefty, who tossed 5 2/3 innings while striking out six to earn the victory.
Making his first start in over a year, Jorge De La Rosa (0-1) struggled over 3 2/3 innings of work. In his return from Tommy John surgery, De La Rosa was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits.
The Giants broke it open with a six-run fourth inning. After back-to-back singles from Hector Sanchez and Xavier Nady, Zito sacrificed both runners into scoring position. San Francisco took a 3-2 lead when Sanchez scored on a wild pitch from De La Rosa, who then walked Angel Pagan and gave up an RBI single to Scutaro to plate Nady.
De La Rosa was replaced by Edgmer Escalona, who gave up back-to-back homers to Sandoval and Buster Posey, capping the burst and giving the Giants an 8-2 lead.
The hosts tacked on another run in the sixth. Aubrey Huff led the inning off with a double, and Scutaro's base hit to left scored pinch-runner Francisco Peguro to account for the final margin.
"They have starting pitching and they have bullpen," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said regarding the depth of the Giants. "Their offense is very mindful of the fact of what it is and what they need to do."
Sandoval's two-out solo homer in the first gave San Francisco the early lead.
The Rockies tied the game in the second on a two-out RBI single from Jonathan Herrera, who plated Wilin Rosario from second.
With two away, San Francisco got a gift in the third when Rosario lost Sandoval's pop up in the sun. The miscue allowed Pagan, who reached on a one- out double, to score from second.
De La Rosa helped his own cause with an RBI single in the fourth. Andrew Brown led off the inning with a double and moved to third on a base hit from Herrera. Colorado's starter then squeaked a ground ball up the middle to plate Brown and tie the game at 2-2.
Scutaro extended his hitting streak to 10 games ... The Giants have won in each of Zito's last nine starts ... The Rockies have lost six games in a row while the Giants have won eight of their last nine ... The Rockies stranded 10 runners on base.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 9
Sep 20 6:47 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Francisco Peguero. Runner on first with one out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 9 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 20 6:01 PM
- Buster Posey two-out, solo Home Run (23) to left. Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 20 5:25 PM
- Marco Scutaro infield single to third scored Xavier Nady. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third and Marco Scutaro advances to second on Chris Nelson's throwing error. Runners on second and third with two outs and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 20 5:21 PM
- Jorge De La Rosa's scored Hector Sanchez. On the play, Xavier Nady advanced to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Angel Pagan at the plate.
Rockies 2, Giants 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 20 5:18 PM
- Jorge De La Rosa single to center scored Andrew Brown. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 20 4:59 PM
- Pablo Sandoval reached first on Wilin Rosario's fielding error scores Angel Pagan. Runner on first with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 20 4:44 PM
- Jonathan Herrera single to left scored Wilin Rosario. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 20 4:12 PM
- Pablo Sandoval two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 20 3:56 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 3:45 PM
- Giants re-sign P Vogelsong Fri
- Giants sign OF Aoki Jan 19
- Reports: Giants sign OF Aoki Jan 16
- Giants finalize deal with Peavy Dec 23
- Giants officially re-sign Romo Dec 22
- Giants acquire McGehee from Marlins Dec 20
- Giants retain Peavy with 2-year deal Dec 19
- Report: Giants bring back Romo Dec 17
- Rockies sign Descalso Dec 16
- Rockies ship Rutledge to Angels Dec 11
- Madison Bumgarner named SI Sportsman of the Year Dec 8
- Dodgers acquire RHP Nicasio from Rockies Nov 24