Butler's HR in 9th lifts Royals over MarinersJul 19, 2012 - 4:22 AM
"I just got a good pitch to hit and I didn't miss there at the end," Butler said. "Things like that tonight tend to have a positive reaction on the team and that's what we're looking for."
Butler's leadoff shot off Josh Kinney (0-1) landed in the seats in left- center and capped a 3-for-3 night for the All-Star slugger. It was the second career walk-off home run of Butler's career and snapped Kansas City's three- game slide in the process.
"Obviously I'm trying to keep the ball away from that guy," said Kinney. "If he's going to do that, you want him to hit it to right field and the ball just ran right over the plate."
Alex Gordon went 3-for-5 with two RBI and Lorenzo Cain belted a two-run homer in the win, which was credited to Greg Holland (4-2) for throwing a perfect ninth.
Seattle had won the first two games in the four-game series and came back from a 7-3 deficit to make things interesting.
Kyle Seager and Casper Wells each homered for the Mariners, whose starter, Kevin Millwood, was charged with seven runs on 10 hits over five frames.
Royals starter Bruce Chen wasn't much better, surrendering four runs on seven over in 5 1/3 innings.
Wells slid in safely ahead of Jeff Francoeur's throw from right field on Miguel Olivo's single, cutting the Mariners' deficit to 7-4 in the sixth, and an inning later Seattle plated three more to tie it.
Jesus Montero hit a dribbler up the middle to knock in Ichiro Suzuki and Wells with one out in the seventh, then scored the tying run when Seager doubled over the head of Francoeur.
The Mariners nearly went ahead in the eighth, but Chris Getz, playing in at second base, threw out Brendan Ryan on a close play at the plate.
Seager hooked a solo homer inside the right-field foul pole in the second inning, and the Royals answered with three runs in the bottom half.
Mike Moustakas doubled in Butler, Brayan Pena's groundout scored Cain and Getz laid down a bunt single with two outs to knock in Moustakas.
Wells' two-run blast in the fourth tied it, but Gordon knocked in Pena and Getz in the home half with a double to left.
Cain found the seats down the left-field line for a two-run blast in the fifth, extending the lead to 7-3.
Both teams recorded 14 hits...The Mariners have not committed an error in 10 straight games, one off the club record...Millwood is winless in his last eight starts (0-3)...Suzuki and Wells each had three hits.
- SEATTLE: 7
KANSAS CITY: 8
Jul 18 11:15 PM
- Billy Butler lead-off Home Run (18) to left center to end the game.
Mariners 7, Royals 8 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 18 11:15 PM
- Kyle Seager double to right scored Jesus Montero with two out. Runner on second and Miguel Olivo due up.
Mariners 7, Royals 7 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 18 10:29 PM
- Jesus Montero single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki and Casper Wells with one out. Runner on first and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 6, Royals 7 Top 7, 1 OutJul 18 10:23 PM
- Miguel Olivo single to right scored Casper Wells with two out. On the play, Jesus Montero advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 4, Royals 7 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 18 10:00 PM
- Lorenzo Cain none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Billy Butler. Mike Moustakas due up.
Mariners 3, Royals 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 18 9:38 PM
- Alcides Escobar flied out to right. On the play, Alex Gordon advanced to third. Runner on third with two outs and Eric Hosmer due up.
Mariners 3, Royals 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 18 9:22 PM
- Casper Wells none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Ichiro Suzuki. Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 3, Royals 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 18 9:08 PM
- Chris Getz bunt single to first scored Mike Moustakas with two out. Runner on first and Alex Gordon due up.
Mariners 1, Royals 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 18 8:42 PM
- Brayan Pena ground out second to first scored Lorenzo Cain with two out. On the play, Mike Moustakas advanced to third. Runner on third and Chris Getz due up.
Mariners 1, Royals 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 18 8:41 PM
- Mike Moustakas double to right scored Billy Butler with none out. On the play, Lorenzo Cain advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Mariners 1, Royals 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 18 8:37 PM
- Miguel Olivo struck out swinging to end the inning.
Mariners 1, Royals 0 Mid 2Jul 18 8:30 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 8:10 PM
- Royals rally past Astros 3:43a
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle 1:40a
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park Tue
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals Tue
- Indians win in extras to sweep Mariners Mon
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros Mon
- Indians eye rare four-game sweep of Mariners Mon
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals Sun
- Masterson, Brantley help Tribe blank Mariners Sun
- A's hope to complete sweep of Royals Sun
- King Felix goes for the Mariners in Cleveland Sun