Montero leads Mariners over RoyalsJul 29, 2012 - 12:04 AM
Casper Wells had two hits and scored once and Miguel Olivo drove in a run for the Mariners, winners in three straight, and four of five overall.
Kevin Millwood (4-8) got the win after giving up just one unearned run on six hits over 6 1/3 innings. The 37-year-old right-hander struck out three and walked one in the victory.
"Kevin threw the ball great today. He did a great job with his fastball, used both sides of the plate, he was strong, started mixing his breaking pitches in later in the ball game, and he's been very consistent for us," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said. "It was good to get him a win. We've had a tough time getting him a win as good as he's been pitching so I was glad to get him a win."
Billy Butler went 3-for-3 with a RBI and Alcides Escobar had two hits, including a triple, and drove in a run for the Royals, who have lost four in a row.
Bruce Chen (7-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up three runs on seven hits with five strikeouts over six innings.
"We're much better than we're playing right now and we're trying to do everything we can to get out of this funk," Chen said. "We can't panic, you just have to do it one step at a time and, I know I lost to day, but it was a step in the right direction."
The Royals took a 1-0 lead in the first. Escobar reached on a bunt single and took second on a throwing error by Kyle Seager. Butler dropped a single into right to score Escobar.
Seattle scored three in the third to go up 3-1. Wells singled before Montero homered one batter later. Seager followed with a double then scored on Olivo's base hit.
Kansas City cut it to 3-2 in the eighth. Alex Gordon doubled then scored on Escobar's triple.
Michael Saunders and Montero worked walks and Seager reached on a bunt to load the bases in the eighth with no outs. After John Jaso grounded into a force out at the plate, Mike Carp delivered with a sacrifice fly to score Chone Figgins, who replaced Montero on the bases, to make it 4-2. Royals reliever Greg Holland struck out Trayvon Robinson to end the threat.
The Royals added a run in the ninth but stranded the tying run on third to end the game. Eric Hosmer singled before advancing to second on a defensive indifference. Lorenzo Cain tripled to plate Hosmer but Tom Wilhemlmsen was able to get Gordon to ground out to end the game.
51 of the Mariners 103 games this season have been decided by two runs or fewer...Montero is 15-for-23 with two homers in six games against Kansas City this season. He has recorded a multi-hit game in every matchup...Chen went 0-3 over six starts in July...Kansas City is just 4-16 since the All-Star break.
- KANSAS CITY: 3
Jul 28 6:53 PM
- Lorenzo Cain tripled to right scoring Eric Hosmer with two outs. Runner on third and Alex Gordon due up.
Royals 3, Mariners 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 28 6:52 PM
- Mike Carp sacrifice fly out to left scored Chone Figgins with two out. Runners on first and second and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Royals 2, Mariners 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 28 6:40 PM
- Alcides Escobar tripled to left center scoring Alex Gordon with one out. Runner on third and Chris Getz due up.
Royals 2, Mariners 3 Top 8, 1 OutJul 28 6:21 PM
- Miguel Olivo singled to right scoring Kyle Seager with two out. Runner on first and Mike Carp due up.
Royals 1, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 5:07 PM
- Jesus Montero two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Casper Wells. Kyle Seager due up.
Royals 1, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 5:03 PM
- Billy Butler singled to right scoring Alcides Escobar with two out. Runner on first and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Royals 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 4:19 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 4:10 PM
- Rounding Third: Seattle finally gets its man Fri
- Report: Mariners, Cano agree on $240 million deal Fri
- Mariners ink Bloomquist to two-year deal Thu
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Thu
- Bloomquist to return to Seattle on 2-year deal Dec 2
- Royals do not tender contract to Getz Dec 2
- Royals extend GM Moore Nov 29
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Royals add Vargas to rotation Nov 21
- Royals release P Mendoza Nov 11
- Mariners formally introduce McClendon Nov 7
- Mariners hire McClendon as manager Nov 5