Giants edge Angels; Cain wins eighth straight startJun 19, 2012 - 6:36 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Cain's bid for consecutive perfect games ended on his third pitch Monday night, but he was still effective enough to earn his eighth straight victory.
Melky Cabrera smacked three hits, while Brandon Crawford and Ryan Theriot registered a pair of RBI apiece as the San Francisco Giants downed the LA Angels of Anaheim, 5-3, in the opener of a three-game interleague series.
Cain (9-2) labored through five innings, surrendering three runs on six hits and a season-high four walks for the Giants, who had lost three of their previous four coming in.
"I was a little energized from the last game. It was a relief to get back on the mound and get that one out of the way," Cain said. "My goal is to stay in the game long enough to give our team a chance to win."
He entered the night retiring his last 32 batters, but that streak was halted in the home first as Mike Trout led off and stroked a single to left. Pujols then put an end to Cain's 20-inning stretch without allowing an earned run later in the frame as he lifted a sacrifice fly to right.
Although Cain was far from perfect, the Giants' quartet of Shane Loux, Sergio Romo, Jeremy Affeldt and Santiago Casilla was as they retired the final 12 batters in succession.
"I was pumped for our bullpen to come in and finish the game," Cain said.
Former Giant Jerome Williams (6-5) was touched for four runs on seven hits and three walks in 3 1/3 innings, but was hospitalized sometime during the game after complaining of shortness of breath.
"Jerome felt fine on the bench during the game," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "When he came out of the game he was dizzy, so we took him to the hospital. He'll stay overnight and have some tests done."
Mark Trumbo cracked his 16th homer of the season while Erick Aybar was the only Angel to record two hits.
Following Pujols' sac fly in the first, Crawford belted a two-run triple to right in the visitors' second to give San Francisco a 2-1 advantage.
Trumbo stroked a solo blast over the wall in right-center in the home second to knot the score, but the Giants plated the next two to reclaim the lead for good.
Angel Pagan poked an RBI single through the hole on the right side in the third while Theriot pulled a ball through the left side of the infield for a run-scoring base hit in the fourth to make it 4-2.
Bobby Wilson's sacrifice fly in the home fourth cut the deficit to 4-3, but the Giants got the run back in the sixth as Theriot slapped an RBI single to center for a 5-3 San Francisco edge.
Casilla fanned one in the ninth en route to his 19th save of the season.
Cabrera's multi-hit game was his MLB-leading 32nd of the year...Of the 17 pitchers to toss a perfect game since the Chicago White Sox's Charlie Robertson in 1922, Cain was one of six hurlers to win his next start...Williams spent his first two-plus years in San Francisco before being traded to the Cubs in 2005. Williams was 17-14 with a 3.93 ERA during his stint with the Giants...Trout stole three more bases, giving him an MLB- leading 19 for the year.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 19 1:29 AM
- Ryan Theriot single to center scored Joaquin Arias with one out. Runner on first and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 5, Angels 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 19 12:22 AM
- Bobby Wilson sacrifice fly to left scored Alberto Callaspo with one out. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to second and Maicer Izturis advances to third. Runners on second and third and and Mike Trout due up.
Giants 4, Angels 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 18 11:44 PM
- Hisanori Takahashi enters the game for the Angels with a runner on first with one out.
Giants 4, Angels 2 Top 4, 1 OutJun 18 11:26 PM
- Pablo Sandoval flied out to center. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 3, Angels 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 18 10:56 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (16) to right. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Giants 2, Angels 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 18 10:39 PM
- Brandon Crawford triple to right scored Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Belt with one out. Runner on third and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 2, Angels 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 18 10:33 PM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to right scored Mike Trout with two outs. None on and Kendrys Morales due up.
Giants 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 18 10:22 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 10:08 PM
- Morse finds a home in San Francisco 11:06a
- Angels acquire Skaggs, Santiago in 3-team deal Tue
- Giants officially re-sign Vogelsong Dec 4
- Angels non-tender Hanson, Williams Dec 3
- Giants to re-sign Vogelsong Nov 29
- Angels sign reliever Smith Nov 27
- Giants re-sign LHP Lopez to 3-year deal Nov 26
- Angels acquire Freese from Cardinals Nov 22
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 19
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 18
- DiSarcina returns to Halos as third base coach Nov 5
- Giants decline option on Barry Zito Nov 2