Angels cut down GiantsJun 20, 2012 - 6:20 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo had three hits, five RBI and two runs scored as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pounded the San Francisco Giants, 12-5, in the second test of a three-game interleague series.
Albert Pujols added a three-run homer and knocked in four, while Mike Trout tied a career-high with four hits and four runs scored for the Angels, who won for the fourth time in six games.
C.J. Wilson (8-4) allowed five runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits and a walk over 6 1/3 innings to earn the victory.
"It was one of those nights. Giving up 10 hits is embarrassing to me. They didn't make it easy on us," said Wilson. "I was upset that I couldn't go further into the game, but credit our offense. They put up runs. Any time our offense is hitting, it's good for the team."
Barry Zito (5-5) gave up eight runs on nine hits and three walks in just 3 1/3 innings to suffer the loss for San Francisco, which has dropped four of its last six.
"Barry attacked the zone, but he got too much of the zone," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said about Zito. "He made too many mistakes. He didn't have his good location tonight."
Melky Cabrera had three hits and an RBI in defeat.
The Angels jumped all over Zito in the first inning to take control of the game.
Trout opened the game with a double and moved to third on Torii Hunter's base hit before Pujols hammered a ball over the left-center field wall for his 11th home run of the season.
After a single by Trumbo and a pair of walks by Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar loaded the bases with one out, Peter Bourjos lifted a sacrifice fly to left field, scoring Trumbo for a quick 4-0 lead.
San Francisco answered with a run in the second inning when Angel Pagan reached base on Alberto Callaspo's throwing error and came home on a single by Pablo Sandoval, but the Angels got the run back in the bottom of the frame on Pujols' RBI single following a leadoff double by Trout.
The Angels managed to load the bases with one out against Zito again in fourth inning before George Kontos was summoned from the bullpen and gave up a bases- clearing triple off the wall in center field by Trumbo.
Kendrick's sacrifice fly to right to brought home Trumbo for a 9-1 lead.
San Francisco would not go away, though, as a Ryan Theriot sacrifice fly and a run-scoring groundout by Cabrera in the fifth inning closed the gap.
Wilson was pulled in favor of LaTroy Hawkins with the bases loaded and one out in the seventh inning. Hawkins allowed an RBI single by Buster Posey and a grounder to first by Pagan that Pujols snagged with a diving stop to score Theriot and bring the Giants within 9-5.
San Francisco had a chance to cut further into its deficit in the eighth inning, but stranded runners on second and third.
The Angels then pulled away for good in the bottom of the inning with an RBI base hit by Hunter and a two-run single by Trumbo to make it a 12-5 game.
David Carpenter tossed a perfect ninth to seal the win.
Wilson has won his last four decisions...Zito fell to 12-11 in 30 career games against the Angels...Giants first baseman Brandon Belt went 1-for-4 to extend his career-best hit streak to eight games...San Francisco was 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base. The Angels went 6- for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 12
Jun 20 1:28 AM
- Mark Trumbo single to right scored Mike Trout and Torii Hunter with two outs. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Giants 5, Angels 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 20 1:15 AM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Peter Bourjos with two outs, advances to second on Melky Cabrera's throwing error. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Giants 5, Angels 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 20 1:11 AM
- Angel Pagan ground out to first scored Ryan Theriot with two outs. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second and Melky Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 5, Angels 9 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 20 12:31 AM
- Buster Posey single to left scored Gregor Blanco with one out. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to second and Ryan Theriot advances to third. Bases loaded and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 4, Angels 9 Top 7, 1 OutJun 20 12:29 AM
- Melky Cabrera ground ball fielder's choice, short to second scored Joaquin Arias with two outs. Gregor Blanco out at second. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 3, Angels 9 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 19 11:51 PM
- Ryan Theriot sacrifice fly to right scored Hector Sanchez with one out. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on first and third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 2, Angels 9 Top 5, 1 OutJun 19 11:49 PM
- Howie Kendrick sacrifice fly to right scored Mark Trumbo with two outs. None on and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Giants 1, Angels 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 19 11:38 PM
- Mark Trumbo triple to center scored John Hester, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols with one out. Runner on third and Howie Kendrick due up.
Giants 1, Angels 8 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 19 11:37 PM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Giants 1, Angels 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 19 10:51 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to short scored Angel Pagan with none out. Runner on first and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 1, Angels 4 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 19 10:45 PM
- John Hester grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Erick Aybar out at second to end the inning.
Giants 0, Angels 4 End 1Jun 19 10:38 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to short. Runner on first with none out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Giants 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 19 10:27 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 10:08 PM
- Angels outlast Royals 12:06a
- Angels hope to remain hot in Kansas City 10:31a
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners Thu
- Nats slip by Giants in 10 Wed
- Bumgarner, Giants eye sweep of Nationals Wed
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners Wed
- Sandoval's homer in the 10th lifts Giants over Nats Wed
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle Wed
- Giants place Vogelsong, Casilla on DL Tue
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Strasburg, Cain square off in San Fran Tue
- Vogelsong breaks hand as Giants down Nats Tue