Upton, Rays rout AngelsAug 18, 2012 - 5:51 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - B.J. Upton and the Tampa Bay Rays lit up Jered Weaver and the Angels en route to a 12-3 romp in the second meeting of a four- game series.
The Rays won the opener of the set, 7-0, on Thursday, marking the fourth time they shut out the Angels already this year.
On Friday, their bats shined against one of the best arms in the game in Weaver (15-3), who came in leading the AL in ERA.
After just three-plus innings, Weaver's ERA grew more than a half-run to 2.74 as he yielded nine runs on eight hits and two walks while losing consecutive starts for the first time in over a year.
"This was not a good time of the year for this to happen. I just couldn't get anything going," Weaver admitted.
Upton went 4-for-5 with a home run and three RBI, Jose Molina also homered and drove in three runs and Ben Zobrist added a solo shot in the rout.
"Hitting is contagious. We've been taking advantage of the pitches we've been getting," Upton said.
The offensive surge backed a quality start from James Shields (11-7), who gave up three runs on seven hits over six frames.
Upton and Zobrist hit solo shots in the first and second inning, respectively, and Erick Aybar countered with a solo blast of his own in the home third. It marked the first time the Angels scored against the Rays in 35 innings.
The Rays answered emphatically with seven runs in the fourth.
A single and two walks preceded consecutive run-scoring singles by Sean Rodriguez and Ryan Roberts. A Molina base hit to center brought home two more and Desmond Jennings' RBI double ended Weaver's outing.
Upton greeted LaTroy Hawkins with a two-run single to cap the flurry.
Howie Kendrick hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the fourth, and Zobrist scored in Tampa Bay's next at-bat on a Rodriguez groundout.
Molina added another run with a leadoff homer off Jason Isringhausen in the eighth, and Elliot Johnson's sacrifice fly in the ninth accounted for the final tally.
The last time Weaver lost two straight starts was during a four-start slide from May 2-May 18, 2011 ... The Angels fell to 17-3 in Weaver's last 20 home starts ... Rodriguez had three of the Rays' 17 hits ... Torii Hunter had three hits for the Angels ... Tampa Bay is 7-1 against the Angels this season.
- TAMPA BAY: 12
LOS ANGELES: 3
Aug 18 1:00 AM
- Elliot Johnson sacrifice fly out to center scored Sam Fuld with one out. None on and Carlos Pena due up.
Rays 12, Angels 3 Top 9, 1 OutAug 18 12:45 AM
- Jose Molina lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 11, Angels 3 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 18 12:27 AM
- Sean Rodriguez ground out second to first scored Ben Zobrist with one out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second. Runner on second and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 10, Angels 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 17 11:37 PM
- Howie Kendrick two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Erick Aybar due up.
Rays 9, Angels 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 17 11:27 PM
- B.J. Upton single to left scored Jose Molina and Desmond Jennings with none out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 9, Angels 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 17 11:17 PM
- Desmond Jennings double to right center scored Ryan Roberts with none out. On the play, Jose Molina advances to third. Runners on second and third and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 7, Angels 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 17 11:12 PM
- Jose Molina single to center scored Jeff Keppinger and Sean Rodriguez with none out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to second. Runners on first and second and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 6, Angels 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 17 11:08 PM
- Chris Iannetta flied out to right. None on with one out and Mike Trout due up.
Rays 2, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 17 10:49 PM
- Ben Zobrist lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 17 10:26 PM
- B.J. Upton one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 17 10:09 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 10:07 PM
- Angels acquire Skaggs, Santiago in 3-team deal Tue
- Rays re-sign Oviedo for $1.5 million Dec 5
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, P Bell in 3-team deal Dec 3
- Angels non-tender Hanson, Williams Dec 3
- Rays reach 2-year deal with C Molina Dec 2
- Angels sign reliever Smith Nov 27
- Angels acquire Freese from Cardinals Nov 22
- Fernandez, Myers named MLB top rookies Nov 12
- Fernandez, Myers named MLB top rookies Nov 11
- Rays re-sign OF DeJesus Nov 6
- DiSarcina returns to Halos as third base coach Nov 5
- Rays exercise options on Escobar, Zobrist Nov 2