Gordon lifts Dodgers over PhilliesJun 7, 2012 - 3:55 AM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Dee Gordon hit a two-run, go-ahead single in the sixth inning and the Dodgers defeated the Phillies, 6-5, on Wednesday.
Philadelphia took a 4-2 lead in the fifth on Jimmy Rollins' two-run homer but Kyle Kendrick (2-5) allowed Los Angeles to load the bases a half-inning later. He walked in a run before Raul Valdes surrendered Gordon's two-out, go-ahead line drive to right field.
"They took back the momentum for a bit there. If we don't score it keeps the momentum on their side. We were able to jump back in it and hold on," said LA manager Don Mattingly.
Kendrick was charged with five runs on four hits and five walks in 5 2/3 innings. Jake Diekman walked home an unearned run in the ninth inning.
Chris Capuano (8-2) picked up the win, giving up four runs on four hits over five innings. He walked one and struck out five. Kenley Jansen allowed Ty Wigginton's RBI double in the bottom of the ninth, then stranded a pair to earn his ninth save of the season.
Tony Gwynn Jr. had an RBI triple and scored twice for the Dodgers, who will look for the sweep of this four-game series on Thursday.
The Phillies, losers of a season-high five straight games, got a solo homer from Shane Victorino in the second inning and a leadoff blast from Wigginton in the fifth.
"It's kind of bad right now," said Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel. "We have to come right back out and play tomorrow. We have to show up and try to win a game."
In the third, Gwynn tripled home Adam Kennedy, then scored when Phillies first baseman John Mayberry misplayed a grounder by Capuano.
After allowing a single to A.J. Ellis and a double to James Loney, Kendrick intentionally walked Gwynn in the sixth to load the bases with one down. Pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston then worked the count full before drawing a free pass and Gordon lined Valdes' first pitch into the outfield.
"It was frustrating for sure. One pitch away from having a great outing," groused Kendrick. "It was a fastball (to Hairston), just sinking and missed down. It was close. I don't know how he took it."
Carlos Ruiz, who had a passed ball in the top of the ninth, was hit by a pitch to start the home half. He scored on Wigginton's one-out double but Jim Thome went down swinging and Brian Schneider popped out with runners on first and second to end the game.
Thome was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. He had been on the DL since May 2 due to a lower back injury. To make room for Thome on the roster, the Phillies optioned infielder Pete Orr to Triple-A Lehigh Valley...The Dodgers have won three straight in Philadelphia since winning their final two games at Citizens Bank Park in 2009 and their first in 2010. They have not won four straight at Philadelphia since winning six straight at Veterans Stadium from 1997-98...Following the game, the Phils announced they will place infielder Freddy Galvis on the 15-day DL. He left the game thanks to lower back pain.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 6 10:45 PM
- Ty Wigginton doubled to left scored Carlos Ruiz. Runner on second with one out and John Mayberry due up.
Dodgers 6, Phillies 5 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 6 10:36 PM
- James Loney walk scored Elian Herrera on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Alex Castellanos due up.
Dodgers 6, Phillies 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 6 10:19 PM
- Dee Gordon singled to right scored James Loney and Tony Gwynn Jr.. On the play, Jerry Hairston Jr. advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Elian Herrera due up.
Dodgers 5, Phillies 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 6 9:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jerry Hairston Jr. walk scored A.J. Ellis on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 3, Phillies 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 6 9:10 PM
- Jimmy Rollins two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Mike Fontenot. Juan Pierre due up.
Dodgers 2, Phillies 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 6 8:50 PM
- John Mayberry grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Freddy Galvis due up.
Dodgers 2, Phillies 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 6 8:36 PM
- Chris Capuano reached first on John Mayberry's fielding error scored Tony Gwynn Jr. Runner on first with none out and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 2, Phillies 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 6 7:48 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. tripled to right scored Adam Kennedy. Runner on third with none out and Chris Capuano due up.
Dodgers 1, Phillies 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 6 7:44 PM
- Shane Victorino one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Ty Wigginton due up.
Dodgers 0, Phillies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 6 7:36 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 7:07 PM
- Hairston announces retirement on Twitter Wed
- Halladay calls it a career Mon
- Dodgers make it official with Brian Wilson Dec 7
- Dodgers re-sign Brian Wilson Dec 5
- Phillies sign catcher Nieves Dec 5
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Dec 3
- Dodgers add Haren to rotation Nov 25
- Report: Dodgers add Dan Haren Nov 25
- Phillies re-sign Ruiz to three-year contract Nov 21
- Phillies name McClure pitching coach Nov 21
- Reports: Phillies re-sign Ruiz Nov 18
- Phils sign four to minor league deals Nov 15