Victorino, Dodgers drop PiratesAug 14, 2012 - 5:39 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Shane Victorino clubbed his first homer in a Dodgers uniform and knocked in three runs, as Los Angeles downed the Pirates, 5-4, in the opener of a four-game set at PNC Park.
Victorino also scored twice, while Matt Kemp added an RBI and a run scored for Los Angeles, which won for the fourth time in its last five games and moved into a tie for first place in the NL West after the Giants lost on Monday.
"You gotta win every game at this point and that's what you go out there to do," said Victorino. "You take it one day at a time and fortunate enough for us we were able to take game one."
Aaron Harang (8-7) surrendered two runs on five hits and three walks with four strikeouts over six innings to snap a three-start winless skid. Kenley Jansen recorded his 24th save of the season with a perfect ninth.
Garrett Jones registered four hits, three RBI and a run scored for the Pirates, who have lost four of their last five games.
Jeff Karstens (4-3) was tagged with his first loss since June 25 after giving up four runs on seven hits over seven frames. He is now winless in seven career meetings with the Dodgers.
"He still has a couple things to work on but he went out there and gave it everything he had," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle of Karstens. "I'm encouraged by the progress he's making, but there's still more to be made."
The visitors struck first in the third inning as A.J. Ellis doubled to start the frame before moving to third on Harang's bunt. Victorino then followed with an RBI double and scored two batters later on a single through the left side from Kemp.
Pittsburgh responded in the bottom half as Starling Marte smacked a one-out single and Andrew McCutchen worked a two-out walk to set the table for Jones, who scorched a double into right field to plate a pair.
LA regained its two-run lead in the fifth when Harang slapped a one-out single before Victorino launched a slider into the right-field seats for his 10th home run of the season and first since being traded from the Phillies.
The Dodgers loaded the bases in the eighth without a hit on a pair of walks and a hit-by-pitch. Pinch-hitter Juan Rivera then singled to center to plate Kemp and provide LA with an insurance run.
The Pirates countered with a pair in the bottom half as McCutchen singled and came all the way around to score on Jones' double into the left-center field gap. Michael McKenry then delivered a two-out single to left to score Jones and bring the home team within a run.
Harang's last win came on July 20 against the Mets. He improved to 15-6 in 25 career starts against the Pirates...The Dodgers are 10-1 when playing in the eastern time zone...McKenry has hit safely in 10 consecutive starts...Pittsburgh went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left seven on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 13 10:19 PM
- Michael McKenry single to left scored Garrett Jones with two out. Runner on first and Clint Barmes due up.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 13 9:55 PM
- Travis Snider is pinch-hitting for Gaby Sanchez.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 13 9:49 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Juan Rivera single to center scored Matt Kemp with one out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to second and Andre Ethier advances to third. Bases loaded and Adam Kennedy due up.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 13 9:37 PM
- Shane Victorino one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Aaron Harang. Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 2 Top 5, 1 OutAug 13 8:33 PM
- Gaby Sanchez lined out to right to end the inning.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 2 End 3Aug 13 8:10 PM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Shane Victorino with one out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 7:57 PM
- Shane Victorino double to right scored A.J. Ellis with one out. Runner on second and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 7:47 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 7:06 PM
- Capuano, Dodgers blank Yankees to split doubleheader 2:20a
- Phillips helps Reds down Pirates in extras 2:06a
- Mattingly returns to Bronx, but Yankees down Dodgers 7:55p
- Dodgers' Capuano activated, will start Game 2 of doubleheader 5:22p
- Reds, Pirates jockey for position in the Steel City 2:14p
- Yankees, Dodgers set for doubleheader in the Bronx Wed
- Pirates blank Reds, end Latos' unbeaten run Wed
- Latos aims to stay on track versus Pirates Tue
- Mattingly leads Dodgers into the Bronx Tue
- Reds use long ball to defeat Pirates Mon
- Reds, Pirates start series at PNC Mon
- Alvarez helps Pirates down Dodgers Sun