Marlins top Rays in 15 inningsJun 17, 2012 - 6:28 AM
Justin Ruggiano smacked a one-out double in the top of the 15th to start the rally and came around to score on Cousins' triple to right field off of Rays reliever Brandon Gomes (1-2).
Ryan Webb (3-1) got the victory after firing three scoreless innings in relief, while Heath Bell struck out the side in the bottom of the 15th to record his 14th save of the season.
"Every time you play a game like that, 14, 15, 16 innings, whatever it is, and you come out with a win, people come out of the ballpark very excited and ready for the next day," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said.
Jose Reyes knocked in two runs and scored once while Cousins finished with three hits to help the Marlins snap an eight-game skid against Tampa Bay.
Jose Molina belted a solo blast and plated a pair in the setback as the Rays lost for the fourth time in their last five games.
"We hit a lot of balls well in moments that were just outs with people in scoring position," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "It just didn't want to work for us tonight."
Molina's homer gave the home team a 3-2 edge in the fifth but the Rays tied the game in the seventh as Miami starter Anibal Sanchez gave up a leadoff single to Carlos Pena before striking out Elliot Johnson for the first out of the frame.
Steve Cishek then entered and got Molina to pop out before serving up a game- tying RBI triple to Sean Rodriguez to knot the game at 3-3.
Earlier, Miami jumped on a Rays mistake in the first as Reyes singled to start the game, moved to second on a groundout and came around to score on third baseman Rodriguez's throwing error on a groundball from Giancarlo Stanton.
The Marlins pressed the lead to 3-0 in the second as Gaby Sanchez reached on an error before moving to third on a ground-rule double from Cousins.
Reyes then slapped a single up the middle that deflected off Johnson's glove at shortstop as Gaby Sanchez and Cousins scored to make it a three-run game.
The Rays got one back in the third when Johnson stroked a leadoff triple and quickly scored on a base hit from Molina.
Sanchez allowed three runs on four hits and three walks, while striking out six over 6 1/3 innings...Rays starter James Shields went 7 2/3 innings in the start and was charged for three unearned runs on eight hits and a walk with five strikeouts. He threw a season-high 124 pitches with 86 falling in for strikes..It was Miami's longest game since a 20- inning affair on April 27, 2003, which they lost 7-6 against St. Louis...Miami placed pitcher Sandy Rosario on the 15-day disabled list with a right quad strain.
- MIAMI: 4
TAMPA BAY: 3
Jun 17 12:23 AM
- Scott Cousins tripled to right scored Justin Ruggiano. Runner on third with one out and Brett Hayes due up.
Marlins 4, Rays 3 Top 15, 1 OutJun 17 12:08 AM
- Sean Rodriguez tripled to right scored Carlos Pena. Runner on third with two outs and Desmond Jennings due up.
Marlins 3, Rays 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 9:30 PM
- Jose Molina one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Sean Rodriguez due up.
Marlins 3, Rays 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 16 8:52 PM
- Sean Rodriguez sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Jose Molina advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Desmond Jennings due up.
Marlins 3, Rays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 16 8:07 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to center scored Gaby Sanchez and Scott Cousins. Runner on first with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 3, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 16 7:42 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton reached first on Sean Rodriguez's throwing error scored Jose Reyes. Runner on first with one out and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 16 7:25 PM
- MIAMI: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 7:16 PM
- Youth in revolt: Rays' Moore seeks 9-0 start against Yankees 9:27a
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras 3:10a
- Yanks cruise past Rays 10:33p
- Rays hope to extend home success over Yankees Fri
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins Fri
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 Thu
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue