Lee remains winless as Marlins top PhilliesJun 30, 2012 - 2:41 AM
Lee (0-5) gave up all six runs on 10 hits and two walks over 4 2/3 innings. The former Cy Young Award winner has yet to earn a victory in 13 starts this season.
Justin Ruggiano went 3-for-4 with a two-run double for the Marlins, who have won two straight but are still just 7-18 in the month of June.
Josh Johnson (5-5) got the decision, allowing one run on four hits with six strikeouts over six innings. He has yielded three runs or less in 10 consecutive outings.
Hunter Pence had a home run and an RBI single for the Phillies, losers of three in a row.
Lee is only the second Cy Young winner in major league history to begin a season without a win in 13 or more starts. While offensive support has been an issue at times, the 33-year-old lefty has certainly been culpable of late, allowing five or more runs in three consecutive starts.
On Friday he gave up a leadoff double to Jose Reyes, who moved to third on a fly ball and scored on Logan Morrison's groundout. Lee had a chance to field Morrison's slow chopper and potentially get Reyes at home, but instead let the ball roll under his glove.
Reyes struck out to begin the third inning, but four straight hits followed, starting with Hanley Ramirez's double to left. He scored on a base hit by Giancarlo Stanton before a pair of singles loaded the bases. Omar Infante followed with a sacrifice fly for a 3-0 lead.
Pence homered in the fourth but a three-run fifth chased Lee and gave the Marlins a sizeable advantage.
A single by Stanton and a ground-rule double by Morrison preceded Ruggiano's deep fly over the head of Shane Victorino in center field. Both runners scored on the two-bagger and Lee was lifted after John Buck singled home Ruggiano for a 6-1 lead.
Pence scored Chase Utley with a base hit in the ninth. Utley, who missed the Phillies' first 76 games due to a chronic knee condition, went 1-for-3 in his third game back from the injury.
The other former Cy Young Award winner to begin a season without a win in 13 or more starts was Vida Blue, who won the AL Cy Young in 1971 and went 0-5 in 19 appearances -- 14 starts -- for the Royals in 1983...The Phillies have been held to three or fewer runs in 10 of Lee's 13 starts this season...Lee suffered his first career loss to the Marlins. He was previously 2-0 in five starts...Johnson earned his first win over the Phillies in Florida since 2008.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Jun 29 10:01 PM
- Hunter Pence advanced to second on defensive indifference. Runner on second with two outs and Placido Polanco at the plate.
Phillies 2, Marlins 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 29 10:00 PM
- John Buck singled to left scoring Justin Ruggiano with two out. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second with Josh Johnson due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 29 9:00 PM
- Justin Ruggiano doubled to center scoring Giancarlo Stanton and Logan Morrison with one out. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 29 8:54 PM
- Hunter Pence lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Shane Victorino due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 29 8:31 PM
- Omar Infante sacrifice fly to center scored Giancarlo Stanton with two out. Runners on first and second with Gaby Sanchez due up.
Phillies 0, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 29 8:23 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton singled to left scoring Hanley Ramirez with one out. Runner on first and Logan Morrison due up.
Phillies 0, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 29 8:16 PM
- Logan Morrison grounded out pitcher to second to first scoring Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton advances to second. Runner on second and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Phillies 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 29 7:30 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:11 PM
- Phillies activate C Ruiz 1:49p
- Diamondbacks try to halt slide vs. Marlins 11:04a
- Nats try to bounce back versus Lee 10:39a
- Marlins' Eovaldi to make season debut Tuesday 1:48a
- Stanton and Marlins down D'backs 1:25a
- Brown delivers in ninth, sends Phils past Nats Mon
- Phils activate Lannan for Monday start Mon
- Corbin targets 10th win in opener with Marlins Mon
- Lannan returns from DL to face Nationals Mon
- Chacin keeps Phillies in check, Rockies take rubber match Sun
- Marlins hand Cardinals rare series loss Sun
- Hamels tries to secure another win in finale with Rockies Sun