Ramirez's HR in 10th lifts Brewers to wild win over MarlinsJul 4, 2012 - 1:57 AM
Miami shortstop Jose Reyes had broken an 11-11 tie in the top of the 10th by belting a home run off Livan Hernandez (2-1), the 10th run surrendered by a Milwaukee reliever.
But the Brewers, who were leading 9-2 entering the seventh, rallied in the bottom of the inning as Marlins closer Heath Bell (2-4) blew his fifth save of the season. Bell issued a leadoff walk to center fielder Carlos Gomez, who made a remarkable catch before slamming hard into the wall to prevent the Marlins from going ahead in the eighth.
Ramirez then delivered with his sixth career walk-off homer, a two-out drive over the center field wall.
The Brewers notched their fourth straight victory, matching a season high, and their 10th in a row against the Marlins.
After the game, Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen went on profanity-laced rant in clubhouse.
"This was an (expletive) baseball game by both sides," said Guillen. "The only good thing for them is they won. Very bad pitching and errors all over the place."
Milwaukee appeared to be in firm control when Ryan Braun's three-run homer capped a six-run sixth inning. The 23rd blast of the season for Braun extended the Brewers' lead to seven, but a bullpen meltdown enabled Miami to get back in the game.
The Marlins scored three runs in the seventh, closing the gap to 9-5. Jose Veras retired only one of the six batters he faced. Justin Ruggiano launched a leadoff home run and Reyes contributed an RBI single after Miami loaded the bases. Another run scored when Donovan Solano grounded into a fielder's choice.
Milwaukee responded in the home half with run-scoring singles by Rickie Weeks and Martin Maldonado before the visitors pulled even with a six-spot of their own in the eighth.
Kameron Loe gave up a two-run single to Omar Infante and a two-run homer by John Buck. Francisco Rodriguez didn't fare much better, allowing a pinch-hit homer to Scott Cousins.
Reyes then doubled and took third on a botched pickoff attempt before Greg Dobbs tied it with a sacrifice fly to center. Gomez's stellar defensive play followed as he was able to hang onto Logan Morrison's drive.
A throwing error by Reyes put a runner on third with two outs in the ninth for the Brewers. Michael Dunn, though, got pinch-hitter George Kottaras on an inning-ending popup.
Milwaukee starter Marco Estrada pitched six solid innings with his only blemish being Morrison's two-run homer in the first.
"We did bounce back. Marco threw a good game. We've got to get our bullpen straightened out," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Ramirez's two-run double highlighted a three-run third inning and Corey Hart opened the Milwaukee sixth with a home run off starter Anibal Sanchez. Another run scored on an error by Reyes and Norichika Aoki added a sac fly before Chad Gaudin gave up Braun's home run.
Braun will start as an outfielder for the National League in the All-Star Game with Atlanta's Chipper Jones replacing injured Matt Kemp of Los Angeles...The Brewers also won four straight May 28-31...The 12 runs scored were a season- high for Miami.
- MIAMI: 12
Jul 3 8:40 PM
- Jose Reyes two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Donovan Solano due up.
Marlins 12, Brewers 11 Top 10, 2 OutsJul 3 8:24 PM
- Greg Dobbs sacrifice fly out to center scored Jose Reyes. Runner on first with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 11, Brewers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 3 7:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Scott Cousins one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 10, Brewers 11 Top 8, 1 OutJul 3 7:25 PM
- John Buck one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right center scored Omar Infante. Wade LeBlanc due up.
Marlins 9, Brewers 11 Top 8, 1 OutJul 3 7:23 PM
- Omar Infante singled to center scored Logan Morrison and Justin Ruggiano. Runner on first with none out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 7, Brewers 11 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 3 7:14 PM
- Martin Maldonado singled to short scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on first with one out and Manny Parra due up.
Marlins 5, Brewers 11 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 3 7:04 PM
- Rickie Weeks singled to center scored Corey Hart. On the play, Weeks advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with none out and Cody Ransom due up.
Marlins 5, Brewers 10 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 3 6:57 PM
- Donovan Solano grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second, scored John Buck. Jose Reyes out at second. Austin Kearns advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 5, Brewers 9 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 3 6:45 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to center scored Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Austin Kearns advances to second and John Buck advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Donovan Solano due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 9 Top 7, 1 OutJul 3 6:41 PM
- Justin Ruggiano lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 3, Brewers 9 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 3 6:30 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, three-run Home Run (23) to center scored Travis Ishikawa and Carlos Gomez. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 3 6:24 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrifice fly out to right scored Cody Ransom. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to second and Travis Ishikawa advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 3 6:23 PM
- Carlos Gomez reached on a fielder's choice to second. On the play, Travis Ishikawa advances to second and Cody Ransom advances to third. Jose Reyes' missed catch error scored Rickie Weeks. Credit Omar Infante with a fielding assist. Bases loaded with one out and Norichika Aoki due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 3 6:22 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (16) to left center. Rickie Weeks due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 3 6:07 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to center scored Norichika Aoki and Ryan Braun. Runner on second with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 3 5:11 PM
- Norichika Aoki singled to left scored Marco Estrada. On the play, Carlos Gomez thrown out at third, left to third. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Braun due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 3 5:06 PM
- Logan Morrison two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Donovan Solano. Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 3 4:19 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 4:11 PM
- Marlins finalize deal with Furcal 5:41p
- Marlins make Saltalamacchia signing official 10:34a
- Report: Furcal agrees to one-year deal with Marlins Fri
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Thu
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Fernandez, Myers named MLB top rookies Nov 12
- Fernandez, Myers named MLB top rookies Nov 11
- Rounding Third: Fernandez, Myers could snag rookie awards Nov 11
- Marlins claim INF Paredes off waivers from Astros Nov 4
- Marlins pick up option on P Turner Oct 31
- Marlins name Weissmann VP of player personnel Oct 25
- Cubs claim Gamel from Brewers Oct 3