Buehrle, Marlins blank Brewers in Lee's debutJul 5, 2012 - 10:31 PM
The Marlins acquired Lee from the Houston Astros for prospects Matt Dominguez and Rob Rasmussen on Wednesday.
"That's what you're going to get from Carlos. He is a very smart baseball player," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said.
Greg Dobbs hit a two-run homer for Miami, which won the final two games of this series. Logan Morrison added two hits and two RBI.
Buehrle (8-8) gave up six hits while striking out eight. The left-hander has 22 strikeouts over his three-start winning streak.
Mike Fiers (3-3) allowed two runs on seven hits over 7 1/3 innings for the Brewers, who went 4-3 on a seven-game homestand. The right-hander, who struck out nine, had tossed 18 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings coming into Thursday's contest.
"I knew it was going to be a low-scoring game," Fiers said. "I tried to keep it as close as possible."
Lee's first hit as a Marlin came in the fourth inning. He led off with a double to left and scored on Morrison's single to left, giving Miami a 1-0 lead.
The Brewers put men on the corners with two outs in the bottom half when Aramis Ramirez doubled and Corey Hart singled with two outs. Rickie Weeks, though, struck out swinging to end the threat.
Miami scored once in the eighth to build a 2-0 margin. Jose Reyes singled, moved to third on Lee's base hit and scored when Morrison grounded into a fielder's choice.
Buehrle retired 10 straight batters before giving up a leadoff double to Cody Ransom in the eighth. Buehrle retired the next two batters before Steve Cishek came in from the bullpen. Pinch-hitter Travis Ishikawa struck out swinging to end the inning.
Pinch-hitter Dobbs' two-run homer off Jose Veras in the ninth made it a 4-0 game.
Fiers hadn't given up a run since the third inning of a victory at Minnesota on June 16...Norichika Aoki and Ramirez each had two hits for the Brewers, who went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded five...Miami outfielder Giancarlo Stanton missed the final three games of this series due to a sore right knee.
- MIAMI: 4
Jul 5 4:59 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Omar Infante. Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 5 4:43 PM
- Logan Morrison grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. Carlos Lee out at second. Runner on first and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 5 4:15 PM
- Logan Morrison single to left scored Carlos Lee with none out. Runner on first and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 5 3:02 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 2:11 PM
- McCarthy attempts to get off the schneid in Miami 9:31a
- Lynn shoots for seventh win of year against Brewers 9:30a
- Goldschmidt homers twice as Diamondbacks crush Marlins 1:19a
- Freese helps Cardinals outslug Brewers 1:11a
- Slowey hopes for some run support versus D'Backs Fri
- Cards hope to get back into win column against Milwaukee Fri
- Reds nip Marlins in extras Fri
- Snider leads Pirates past Brewers Fri
- Latos draws the start for Reds against Marlins Thu
- Pirates go with Liriano in finale versus Brewers Thu
- Walker helps Pirates top Brewers Thu
- Choo hits 2 HRs, carries Reds over Marlins Thu