Hairston, Niese help Mets top MarlinsSep 22, 2012 - 6:15 AM
Niese (12-9) pitched 6 1/3 effective innings, giving up just three runs on seven hits. He struck out seven and walked two. Though Niese won 11 games in 2011, Friday's victory puts him at 12 wins for the first time in his five- year career.
Ike Davis knocked in two runs for New York, one coming on a solo shot in the seventh, and scored twice. Daniel Murphy additionally scored two times and added an RBI for the Mets, who snapped a five-game losing streak.
"I've said all year that they're a tremendous bunch of guys. It's a great clubhouse, and they just came out today and played like I know they can," Mets manager Terry Collins said.
Miami's starter, right-hander Jacob Turner (1-3), in just his fifth start as a Marlin since coming from Detroit via trade in August, threw 115 pitches in just five innings, giving up eight hits and six runs -- three earned. He struck out three hitters and walked one.
Donovan Solano had two RBI for Miami, which has now lost two in a row and is just 3-7 in its last 10.
The Mets got to Turner early, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first.
Murphy, who singled and stole second, first crossed home when a ball hit by Davis was mishandled by Solano manning second. Hairston followed by hitting a two-run homer to left-center to put the Mets up 3-0.
In the second frame, New York plated two more, taking advantage of sloppy defensive play by the Marlins.
First, Niese got on the base paths with a fielder's choice to shortstop that Reyes committed a throwing error on -- eventually coming around to score on a wild pitch from Turner.
Murphy tacked on another run with a sac fly to center that scored Fred Lewis.
"The way we play the first three innings, it was embarrassing," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I think if I was pitching in that game, I might fight with somebody."
The Marlins got one back in the third with an RBI single by Solano that scored Gil Velazquez, but the Mets countered in the fifth when Hairston tripled home Murphy.
Miami closed to within 6-3 in the sixth. Solano hit an RBI double and Austin Kearns contributed a run-scoring single.
Davis went deep in the seventh.
The Mets have been outscored 151-68 at Citi Field by opponents in the second half of the season ... Miami is now 4-9 against the Mets in 2012, including a 2-5 mark at Citi Field.
- MIAMI: 3
NEW YORK: 7
Sep 21 9:56 PM
- Ike Davis two-out, solo Home Run (28) to right. Scott Hairston due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 21 9:32 PM
- Austin Kearns single to left scored Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Bryan Petersen advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 6 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 21 9:04 PM
- Donovan Solano double to left scored Gorkys Hernandez with none out. Runner on second and Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 6 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 21 8:53 PM
- Bryan Petersen replaces Justin Ruggiano playing left field, batting 5th.
Marlins 1, Mets 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 21 8:47 PM
- Donovan Solano single to right scored Gil Velazquez with two out. Runner on first and Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 5 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 21 8:00 PM
- Gil Velazquez singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Jacob Turner due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 5 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 21 7:58 PM
- Fred Lewis advances to third and Jon Niese scored on a Jacob Turner wild pitch with one out. Runner on third and Daniel Murphy at the plate.
Marlins 0, Mets 4 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 21 7:53 PM
- Scott Hairston two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Ike Davis. Lucas Duda due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 21 7:32 PM
- Ike Davis reached first on Donovan Solano's fielding error scoring Daniel Murphy with two out. Runner on first and Scott Hairston due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 21 7:30 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 7:11 PM
- Yankees pick up Germen from Mets 3:03p
- Yankees ship Prado to Marlins for Eovaldi 2:41p
- Marlins sign Morse Wed
- Report: Morse signs with Marlins Tue
- Mets sign John Mayberry Mon
- Marlins, White Sox swap pitchers Dec 11
- Dodgers send Gordon to Marlins, acquire 2B Kendrick Dec 11
- Marlins skipper Redmond suffers Achilles injury Dec 9
- Royals ship Crow to Miami Nov 28
- Stanton inks historic deal with Marlins Nov 19
- Report: Marlins and Stanton reach long-term agreement Nov 17
- Mets sign 1B Allen to minor-league deal Nov 13