Tejada sends Mets to sweep of MarlinsSep 23, 2012 - 11:04 PM
With two outs and the bases loaded, Tejada singled to left off Ryan Webb (4-3) to plate the winning run for the Mets, who completed their first sweep at home since taking three from the Baltimore Orioles on June 22-24.
David Wright added a two-run homer in the first and Bobby Parnell (5-4) pitched a perfect top of the ninth to earn the victory.
"It's always fun to win," said Wright. "It would be nice to finish on a strong note. You look at what the Orioles did, they finished strong last year and it carried over into this year, so it would be nice to do that."
Bryan Peterson had a sacrifice fly in the top of the fifth and Gil Velazquez scurried home from third later in the inning on a throwing error by Kelly Shoppach for the Marlins, who have dropped six of seven.
Both starters pitched effectively behind little run support from their respective teams.
Chris Young tossed six innings for the Mets and did not factor into the decision. He gave up just two runs -- one earned -- on five hits while walking two and striking out five. The Mets have only scored 12 runs for Young over his last eight home starts.
Ricky Nolasco, who also gave up two runs on five hits while walking two and fanning five, lasted seven innings for the Marlins.
"Ricky pitched well, very well," said Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen. "He made one bad pitch, that home run, but besides that he pitched a good game."
Miami tied the game in the fifth after back-to-back singles from Rob Brantly and Velazquez. Nolasco bunted both runners over and Peterson drove a deep fly ball to center, allowing both runners to tag and Brantly to score from third. Young then walked Gorkys Hernandez, who stole second base and Shoppach's throwing error allowed Velazquez to score to even the game at two.
The Mets have won seven-straight games against the Marlins ... Wright is three hits shy of tying Ed Kranepool for the most hits in franchise history ... Nolasco walked two batters Sunday after walking just one over his previous 34 innings.
- MIAMI: 2
NEW YORK: 3
Sep 23 4:15 PM
- Ruben Tejada singles to left center scoring Scott Hairston with two outs to end the game.
Marlins 2, Mets 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 23 4:15 PM
- Gorkys Hernandez stole second. Gil Velazquez scores on the throwing error by Kelly Shoppach. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Reyes at the plate.
Marlins 2, Mets 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 23 2:39 PM
- Bryan Petersen sacrifice fly out to center scoring Rob Brantly. On the play, Gil Velazquez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Gorkys Hernandez due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 23 2:32 PM
- David Wright one-out, two-run Home Run (19) to center scored Daniel Murphy. Ike Davis due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 23 1:20 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 1:11 PM
- Syndergaard pitches, blasts Mets over Phils 6:28p
- Pirates sweep Marlins for 6th straight win 5:40p
- Angels acquire Nieuwenhuis from Mets 2:06p
- Cole, Pirates eye sweep of Marlins 9:14a
- Mets' Flores aims for encore against Phils Wed
- Flores clutch again as Mets top Phillies Wed
- Locke, Pirates top Marlins Tue
- Marlins reassign 3B coach Butler Tue
- Marlins place Morse on DL Tue
- Locke takes on Marlins seeking to extend Pirates' win streak Tue
- Mets aim for another series win over Phillies Tue
- Morton, Pirates top Marlins Mon