Phillies come from behind again, shock Brewers with 6-run eighthJul 25, 2012 - 4:15 AM
Greinke, pitching on 10 days' rest, gave up just one run on three hits. He was at only 87 pitches when the Brewers pulled him prior to the eighth. Greinke, who had retired 14 straight batters when he was taken out of the game, was making his first appearance since July 13, the last of three straight starts for the Brewers.
"I pushed him and it didn't work very well," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Greinke. "I would not feel good again if I pushed him again, put him out there for the eighth inning, and two or three days from now when he throws his bullpen, he comes up and says 'I don't feel right again.' I can't do that."
Holding a 6-1 lead, Milwaukee went to Jose Veras. Ty Wigginton singled before John Mayberry grounded out. Manny Parra came in from the bullpen and pinch- hitter Erik Kratz greeted him with a homer to left. Parra then walked Shane Victorino, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard to load the bases with two outs.
Kameron Loe (4-4) entered the game and Carlos Ruiz welcomed him with a three- run double to left-center field. Hunter Pence followed with an RBI bloop single to right to give the Phillies a 7-6 lead.
Jonathan Papelbon tossed a perfect ninth to seal Philadelphia's third straight victory -- all in their last at-bat.
"We see that identity," Pence said. "As soon as everyone kind of came together, the pieces of the puzzle came together and we're working as a unit right now. It feels good."
Phillies starter Cliff Lee allowed six runs on 12 hits over seven-plus innings. Michael Schwimer (1-1) pitched a scoreless inning of relief to pick up the win.
Greinke, Aramis Ramirez, Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun all homered for the Brewers, who have lost a season-high five straight games.
Milwaukee got on the board in the first. Norichika Aoki, Braun and Ramirez singled. Aoki was thrown out at the plate on Ramirez's base hit, but Corey Hart followed with an RBI single to left.
The Phillies tied the game in the home half when Victorino doubled to right and scored on Ryan Howard's two-out single to left.
The Brewers hit homers in the sixth, seventh and eighth to build what seemed to be a comfortable margin.
Braun and Greinke hit solo homers in the sixth and seventh, respectively, to make it a 3-1 contest. Gomez led off the eighth with a homer, and Braun singled before Ramirez's blast to left made it a five-run game.
Phillies third baseman Placido Polanco missed Tuesday's game with a sore back. Meanwhile, Victorino played Tuesday after leaving Monday's contest with a right elbow injury...Greinke had five strikeouts, compared to six for Lee...Papelbon picked up his 22nd save of the season...Loe blew his fifth save of the year.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Jul 24 10:01 PM
- Hunter Pence single to right scored Carlos Ruiz with two out. Runner on first and Ty Wigginton due up.
Brewers 6, Phillies 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 24 9:49 PM
- Carlos Ruiz double to left center scored Shane Victorino, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard with two out. Runner on second and Hunter Pence due up.
Brewers 6, Phillies 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 24 9:46 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Erik Kratz one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Ty Wigginton. Jimmy Rollins due up.
Brewers 6, Phillies 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 24 9:27 PM
- Aramis Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Ryan Braun. Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 6, Phillies 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 24 9:08 PM
- Carlos Gomez lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 4, Phillies 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 24 9:02 PM
- Norichika Aoki lined out to third to end the inning.
Brewers 3, Phillies 1 Mid 7Jul 24 8:53 PM
- Ryan Braun lead-off Home Run (27) to center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 2, Phillies 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 24 8:34 PM
- Ryan Howard single to left scored Shane Victorino with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Ruiz due up.
Brewers 1, Phillies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 24 7:29 PM
- Corey Hart single to left scored Ryan Braun with two out. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Phillies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 24 7:19 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 7:09 PM
- Dominguez's slam leads Astros to rout of Brewers 3:44a
- Lee keeps rolling as Phillies best Nats 11:53p
- Phillies activate C Ruiz Tue
- Old rivals square off in Houston Tue
- Nats try to bounce back versus Lee Tue
- Brown delivers in ninth, sends Phils past Nats Mon
- Phils activate Lannan for Monday start Mon
- Lannan returns from DL to face Nationals Mon
- Chacin keeps Phillies in check, Rockies take rubber match Sun
- Cueto returns with solid effort as Reds beat Brewers Sun
- Brewers' P Fiers out 9-12 weeks with broken forearm Sun
- Hamels tries to secure another win in finale with Rockies Sun