Gonzalez reaches milestones in Nats rout of BrewersSep 23, 2012 - 1:18 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond hit three-run home runs, while Gio Gonzalez picked up his major-league leading 20th win, as the Washington Nationals ripped the Milwaukee Brewers, 10-4, in the second edition of a four-game set.
Adam LaRoche homered among his three hits and drove in two for the Nationals, who recovered from a 4-2 defeat in Friday's series opener to win for the third time in five games overall.
Gonzalez (20-8) yielded two runs and three hits in seven strong innings to become the first Washington left-hander to win 20 since Earl Whitehill in 1933. He also fanned five, becoming the first Washington-based pitcher to strike out 200 batters in a season since Walter Johnson in 1916.
"It doesn't feel like a 20th win for myself. It feels like a 20th win for the team," Gonzalez admitted. "This is a childhood dream, but to do it with a team like this, that's in first place, makes it that much better."
The Nats, who already clinched a playoff berth, saw their magic number to win the NL East reduced to six.
Taylor Green hit a late two-run shot for the Brewers, whose six-game win streak came to an end. Milwaukee fell 2 1/2 games behind St. Louis, which won at Chicago earlier Saturday, in the race for the final NL wild card slot.
Wily Peralta (2-1) lasted just 2 2/3 frames, allowing five hits and three runs, with four walks and as many strikeouts.
Already up by three, the hosts' advantage ballooned to 9-0 in the fourth facing former Nats pitcher Livan Hernandez. Jayson Werth singled and Bryce Harper walked and both scored on Zimmerman's three-run shot to left. LaRoche and Michael Morse followed with singles and Desmond chased them home with another three-run homer.
Milwaukee got on the board with two in the sixth on Ryan Braun's groundout and an Aramis Ramirez sacrifice fly, but LaRoche began the home half with a long homer to center for a 10-2 score.
In the ninth, Jeff Bianchi singled with one out and Green's homer cut the deficit to 10-4.
"Right now, I really don't feel like we'd have to win every single game the for the rest of the season. But I tell you what: -- we better win almost all of them," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Washington picked up three runs in the third on RBI doubles from Harper and LaRoche, plus a Jean Segura throwing error on a Desmond single that allowed LaRoche to cross the plate.
Washington has won four of six against Milwaukee this season ... LaRoche's homer was the Nationals' 179th of the season, setting a new Nats/Expos franchise record ... Bob Porterfield was the last pitcher to win 20 games on a Washington-based club, going 22-10 for the AL Senators in 1953 ... Werth and Harper both finished with two hits and two runs scored, while LaRoche crossed the plate three times ... Hernandez was torched for five hits and six runs while recording just two outs in relief of Peralta.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Sep 22 4:15 PM
- Martin Maldonado singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 4, Nationals 10 Top 9, 1 OutSep 22 4:14 PM
- Michael Morse singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Ian Desmond due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 10 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 22 3:28 PM
- Aramis Ramirez sacrifice fly to right scored Rickie Weeks with two outs. None on and Josh Stinson due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 9 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 22 3:21 PM
- Ryan Braun grounded out short to first scored Norichika Aoki with one out. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runner on third and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 1, Nationals 9 Top 6, 1 OutSep 22 3:19 PM
- Ian Desmond three-run Home Run (24) to center scored Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse with one out. Danny Espinosa due up.
Brewers 0, Nationals 9 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 22 2:48 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman three-run Home Run (23) to left scored Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper with one out. Adam LaRoche due up.
Brewers 0, Nationals 6 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 22 2:46 PM
- Ian Desmond single to short, Adam LaRoche scored on Jean Segura's throwing error. Desmond advances to second on Segura's error. On the play, Michael Morse advances to third on Segura 's error. Runners on second and third and Danny Espinosa due up.
Brewers 0, Nationals 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 22 2:25 PM
- Adam LaRoche double to right scored Bryce Harper with two outs. Runner on second and Michael Morse due up.
Brewers 0, Nationals 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 22 2:12 PM
- Bryce Harper stole third. Runner on third with one out and Ryan Zimmerman at the plate.
Brewers 0, Nationals 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 22 2:05 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 1:07 PM
- Marte helps Pirates down Brewers 11:46p
- Scherzer silences Phils, earns first win with Nats 11:44p
- Brewers put Gomez on DL 4:14p
- Scherzer takes another crack at first win with Nationals 9:37a
- Pirates try to get untracked with Brewers in town 9:15a
- Fister, Nationals hand Phillies fifth straight loss Fri
- Lackey, Cardinals blank Brewers Thu
- Nationals' Stammen needs surgery for torn flexor tendon Thu
- Nats begin homestand vs. Phillies Thu
- Cards turn to Lackey in finale with Brewers Thu
- Cardinals hold off Brewers Thu
- Nationals salvage finale at Fenway Wed